Sunday, March 7, 2010

Nurse Ratchet

The nurse will see you now!
The land lord has Jamison heading back to the trainers sometime this month, so I thought I'd better get her wormed and her 6 way shot as well.  Saturday I went to the Co-Op and got all of my neccessary goods to get the entire farm upto date with the over-the-counter meds.

Tari ready to be the first patient!  Notice her "hot" breath? ( ;
No one at the farm is spared from my wormer and vaccines...well except for the big mules that is.  The land lord and I tried either the first or second year I was here to get them done, and it was a disaster.  It appears to me that he just didn't work with them enough when they were foals/youngsters to get a good handle on them with this kind of care.  Its down right dangerous to be honest... 

Even after last years endless medical drama, Fi is still really good to vet!
The small mules aren't really easy, but they are do-able...just have to be swift and true with the wormer as you only get one shot with them.  As far as sticking them goes, as long as they are snubbed up pretty good they again are do-able!  The donkeys have always protested, but are actually better at getting their spring vaccines than they are at getting a trim...little poops!  ( :

Yes, these poops!
Since I do this little event alone, I have a system that works pretty well for me. 

Horse Girl and Jamison
I run everyone into the front of the barn, and I then take them one by one into the barn where they receive their "meds".  Once they have gotten all that I have for them, I give them a treat and put them out the back door of the barn into the pasture.  I then grab another animal and repeat.  I always do the donkey's last, and let them into the barn together.  I don't know why, as they can be seperated....but having them both together in the barn works just fine.  The small mules I do after I have all of the horses done...

Jamison and Mave
The reason that I like to do them in the barn one at a time is simply because it makes it easier for me to make sure that we don't loose any wormer that the dogs may get.  I do my best to keep the wormer in the mouths of those its intended for, but they all do their best to spit it out...sometimes they are able to get some out, so this way I can easily keep track of any dropped wormer and clean it up before someone else steps in it and spreads it around.

Scarlette and Tony
I will still give my horses a West Nile vaccine, but I can't buy that at Co-Op.  So the next step of my To Do List is to schedual a visit with Dr. Peters for some dental work and a Legends shot for Horse Girl as well as W.N. vaccines for my girls.  The land lord doesn't think that they are neccessary...maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but why chance it?  ( :
Tony's sweaty chest...the jerk ran from me...so he got to be the last horse.  So we all got a bit of exercise this morning!!


Please, somebody let me out of here....


The recovery room!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that "recovery room" pic is too good!!!