Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tundra Ponies

Took this pictures as I was feeding the girls and Hee-Haws this afternoon.  It was about 4:30 p.m. or so and the light was fading fast...


So these pictures color is a bit off...but you get the idea.  Cold and snowy.


Although they do have some ice sickles on them, no one is shivering or showing any signs of being cold...last year it got so rotten with negative temps here I went out and bought everyone a new blanket. 


Well everyone but Remi.  She wasn't here when I went on my blanket buying frenzy and she came with a really nice winter blanket so she is covered too.


The blankets are on stand by if needed...stalls and covered runs are ready too.  But I doubt they'll be needed...  Got lots of good hay and wind breaks so they should be fine...


We have certainly had winter come on late and serious here this week!  It's not a very heavy or wet snow.  Just kinda dry and light.  Which makes it good for shoveling.  And drifting...had a little bit of that early on, but the wind has stopped!  Thank God!!  We still need to plow/blow the driveway...but we are just 4x4-ing it until the weekend.


It's not packing, so there shouldn't be a problem...just going to take a few hours to clean it up!  (0:


Even when it's nasty, the dogs think they should still go for a run.  So all bundled up I run them with the Danger.  Freezes the crap outta me...and hairless Seven is kind cold when we are done, but these high energy dogs need a release!


I just hope the snow stops before I have to take the tractor to clear the rail beds for the Danger!  Wouldn't that be crazy?  Snow blowing a community trail so you can drive on it to run your dogs!  That'd get the neighbors talking...
And probably me committed to the looney bin by my husband!
I took all the dog pictures from the danger, so the camera had a hard time focusing through the Plexiglas windshield.


And just to show how little snow we had on Sunday...

Here is the only picture I got to take before my camera battery died...





Stay warm!!  (0:

3 comments:

Shirley said...

You got way more snow than we did, I think we ended up with maybe 4 inches. Fairly warm though. My horses stayed mostly under their run in shelter, so no icicles on them. My broodmare has been eying the foaling stall lately, she wants to spend the nights in there already. I usually wait until about 6 weeks before she is due to foal before I start adding extra work cleaning stalls! So she will just have to wait.

Nikker said...

Shirley- Looks like we've got anywhere to a foot and a half of snow to two feet this week. More snow in the forecast but we will see if we really get it! I wondered if this hit you first and then got us with you being "up north"! (0: We needed it though for the snow pack in the mountains, so as much as I don't like getting it all at once, I do like the thought of not having a really dry summer.
Oh, I can't wait to see your babies! (0:

Kellie said...

Great pictures :)