Monday, January 9, 2012

Just Got A Phone Call...



From a man that just bought a horse I sold in 2007!  (0:  Don't worry, it has a happy ending... 
Now I don't want to think of myself as a backyard breeder, but I have bred a few mares and sold  the colts.  I would like to think that I put more thought into than, "Hey this thing has a uterus, let's fill it up!", but I can't guarantee it.  I was young once...


 I use colts as their gender, not some generic term for a baby.  I bred several different mares at different times wanting a filly.  And I kid you not, every single mare foaled out a colt.  Even by stallions whose colt to filly ratio was really low.  Heck Speedy was supposed to be a girl!  I have just decided that I suck the estrogen from the foal while in the womb.  How I don't know, but seems to be a super power that only I posses!  (0:  


There are three that I really wish I still had.  Different life circumstances forced their sale, but over all, I have no real regrets... I did the best that I could in finding them a new home and they were all halter broke, good for the farrier and vet, and UTD on all care when they left.  This roan colt/gelding is one of them.  I only sold him because he was a colt...initially, but as time worn on, I really wished I hadn't sold/advertised him.


So this particular colt was out of Horse Girl and by Fiona's daddy Blue Drifting Smoke. We called him Easy, because, well he was the easiest colt to get a long with I'd ever met.  There was nothing about him that was sour, nasty, lazy, or unpleasant.  He was an all around good guy.  I sold him to some people in Oregon on time.  I kept "custody" of him until he was paid for in full.  Loved every minute of having him around and had he been a filly I would have kept him.  But alas he was a boy and I had already seen and spoken for Fiona by the time they picked him up, so no backing out...it was a done deal.


He was supposed to be a barrel prospect for a teenage girl.  She wanted to futurity him and then take him to college and compete.  They kept me up dated for a couple of months and then just kinda disappeared.  Which is understandable we all have lives...


So tonight I got my first update on Easy Stud Muffin (that was his nickname) in probably 4 years and it was pretty much all good.  This man seemed happy with him all the way around and is going to make a heading horse out of him.  He told me he may never be a top heading horse, but he is pretty sure he is going to be one that he can put anyone on.  I can't be happier that this colt/gelding has found his place with someone who will give him a job and add value to him in the eyes of others! 


Thanks for listening!  (0:


Here are some pictures of Easy up until the day before he left.  In no particular order of course!

2 comments:

Shirley said...

There is no shame in being a small time (I prefer that term to Backyard with all its negative connotations) breeder when you are breeding for something specific, for yourself or others, especially when the babies get good homes. And when you put such nice babies on the ground.
Easy is a real pretty boy. I have a few that got away on me too, especially a buckskin half sister to Coyote Belle.

Nikker said...

Thank you for the compliment on Easy...I am hoping that I will get an updated picture, but you know how cowboys are. I won't hold my breath, but will share if I get one.
It is terrible the way it seems that quantity = quality these days in some people's minds. I think small breeders are more selective and really do try and producer better quality all the way around. I bet your buckskin was something, love your mares and can't wait to see your new babies!