Saturday, October 30, 2010

What Do These Have To Do With Anything???


The puppy has finally named herself.  This is Seven.  Its a long story, but for some reason  she likes it.  No girly names for her.  Seven.  She likes Chad's desk and chair.  A lot.  Silly little puppy!  She has grown a bunch in the last two weeks!  Its been quite the adventure this far.


This is what I did today.  I ran the new machine and made this little part.  Well, lots of these little parts.  The micrometer is set in inches.  So they are not even an inch long.


This is a picture of the machine running through the front glass.  The red/blurry on the glass is the cutting oil being tossed around the machine.


This is a part in the second side.  Its all done and ready to take out.  The red on the white is the cutting oil.


This is the screen showing the program...as its running...the funny blue lines you can see on the left that is running through the middle screen.  Those lines are actually showing the tool path for the part.  I only know that because Chad told me.  I barely know 1/98th of what the machine does.  Thank God for Chad...


This is just a reference picture.  The pad is from Pacific Metal...we don't use them.  They have been stopping by and trying to get us to start an account with them.  We haven't as of yet.  Have to ask Chad why...


Here is a part that has been started.  Its still attached to the round bar/raw stock that we are making it out of. 


Here is a top view of the part.  You can see that its threaded.  Kind of, I hope.  When you enlarge the picture...


Here is the thread gauge with the part.  I have it screwed in checking my threads...  So as I am working away, I get this really great idea.  I had to wait for Chad to come and check on me...but finally he came down so I could say, "Hey, do you think we could make Chicago Screws on this thing?:"  Yeah he says.  So my great idea is to make my sister some Chicago Screws that are personalized.  With her nick name initials...FLF.  Chad says he can do it...and promises to get them done for Christmas.  So there you go, we are making Mindy personalized screws for Christmas.  Not sure what kind of material I will make them out of...I think Titanium would be cool....303 stainless is good.  These are made out of 17-4 that is heat treated to 28-36 Rockwell.  (harder than the hubs of hell...)

Now I'm not Pioneer Woman or any other "popular" blogger, and don't really get into contests or the like.  But I am thinking that I will probably only need like 10-20 personalized screws for my sister....and if I get a whole 12ft bar I could probably make 50 full screws (front and back)....soo if I can get the husband to get on the ball...anyone interested in some personalized screws?  I'll take the first person to say yeah.  Chad says 3 letter max.  I will know for sure if its a go by Turkey Day.  At that time I'll need to know what you'd like on the screws and where to UPS them...

So there ya go, my first attempt at a contest.

Happy Halloween All!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pics....and a great idea for personalized screws. I have a mechanical engineering background so I can relate to what you are doing :) I am trying to think of an unique gift for my sister, who takes care of my horse along with hers...I have a few ideas I'm tossing around, like getting a plaster or paint print of her horse's hooves or something. I'll take an order for some personalized screws!

Anonymous said...

oooh, and your puppy is just sooo cute, along with Kage of course. We just got a "blue" pittie pup a couple of months ago after our senior princess passed. It's been a long time since we had a puppy, but it's a joy to watch them grow. Love the name too!

Nikker said...

Anon,
Chad desperately wanted a blue pup. But we couldn't find a reputable breeder close enough that had puppies. Plenty of backyard breeders, which is something we wanted to stay away from.
Being an mechanical engineer you can appreciate Chad reverse engineering the screws for me! ( : We will be using 303 stainless I think as we have a couple of bars in the shop left over from another job! Let me know what letter/letters you would like on them. Hoping Chad can get to it in the next couple of weeks. Shouldn't run for more than a day once its going. I'll divide the bar with you...haven't done the math to see just how many we will get out of it, but will be enough for a couple of headstall/bridles!
nikerdoodle@gmail.com