Friday, February 26, 2010

Have I Mentioned....

I hate birds?  Well live birds...  If they are served up to me on a plate, I promise I will enjoy them to pieces!!  ( :

We live in an area that is full of the wild kind...  We have litterally hundereds of Wild Turkeys that wander around the place.  We have soo many turkeys here soo often, that my dogs know the phrase, "Get the turkeys".  They don't go after the horses, mules, cats, or each other.  They start hunting the turkeys!  If you are sitting in the living room and call someone a turkey...the dogs go nuts.  Its our passion, hating turkeys. 

I have also developed a conspiracey theory about the turkey and goose poop making the horses ill!  ( :

Yeah, we have geese too.  Those black and brown geese.  We call them Canadian Honkers, but who knows why or if thats correct.  But they honk like loudly and poop everywhere...poisoning my horses.  I can' sick the dogs on them though.  I have tried...they actually attack back...bastards!  My dogs just aren't tough enough to take a floggin', not that I want them to either....  But between you and me....the b.b. gun gets those nasty things off of the pond in a hurry!  ( ;

So yesterday while feeding and chatting with Mindy I hear the geese raising hell on the pond.  Then suddenly they are all in flight scattering almost like when me and Daisey go out and mess with them.  They don't take their regular V flight pattern they are all going in different directions almost like they are trying to keep a preditor from getting them.  But I wonder...what could possible be over there?  I am the only one home... I am of course giving my sister the play by play...(she hates birds too!)

And then the answer flies overhead in hot persuit of one of the geese.  It is a Bald Eagle.  This kind of bird I do LIKE!  For the last year and a half or so, we have had sightings in the area of these big birds, but I was suprised and happy to get an afternoon visit from one!  And even happier to discover that she/he likes to eat or harass geese!  Yay!  I start doing the Happy Dance!!

Imagine my surprise today when I am again feeding and chatting, and hear the geese go beserk again.  I ask Mindy, do you think that eagle would be back again to disturb the geese?  She says if I am lucky it is!  Guess I should have bought a lottery ticket, because low and behold theres the eagle!

I am at the barn with the tractor bucket full of hay freaking out as the damn thing lands at the far end of the pasture by the stream and takes a drink.  I decide I should try and get to the house and get a picture of the bird...and again, I am lucky and get to get all the way to the house and back down toward the barn without the bird moving at all!

Although it wasn't really spooky and seemed happy enough to tollerate me from a distance, it did take off before I got too close to it...

But for your viewing pleasure, I give you the best of the pictures I got this evening!!















I have taken a few things into consideration for next time... 1.) get off the tractor or at least turn it off...the rattling of the engine is not condusive to taking pictures.  2.) start taking the camera to the barn everyday...that way I will have more opportunities to get that ONE good shot. 3.) start saving my pennies to get a bigger badder lense for my camera!  ( :

Sadly I won't be home tomorrow at the time that I have been for the last two days, that have afforded me the chance to see Baldy...I will be looking at property with Chad and our realestate agent...trying to get our own home!  But you'd better believe that I will have myself to the barn Sunday between 4 and 5 p.m. ready to give it my best shot!  ( :

Now for a bowl of ice cream!!  Hahahaaaa!!  I love ice cream!!

Oh and please forgive my spelling errors, I am having computer problems and can't get myself edited...oh, well!  Guess its like going to town without combing your hair...hey, wait I do that too!!  Oooops!  ( :

3 comments:

Karen V said...

Oh sweetie! Thank you so much for that story! You so totally made me smile! SO MUCH in your post to talk about!

"Baldy" maybe you'll be lucky and he's planning on sticking around!

Your own place!! How exciting! After being where you are for as long as you have been, you'll have so much extra time on your hands you won't know what to do!

Going out without combing your hair?? One word - scrunchie!

Hey, how is Mindy? Isn't she the one who recently had a baby? What'd she have? How are mom and baby?

Nikker said...

Put up a few baby pictures for you! (;
I cannot wait to feed MY horese the way I want to without any grief! You give up a lot of things when you live in the type of situation that I am living in now...not that the girls aren't healthy and happy, but extras are harder to do!
My hair isn't quite long enough for a scrunchy...I usually do wear a cap, but somedays...I forget! (; I will also go to the local greasy spoon in my p.j. bottoms! I am a fashion disaster!

Karen V said...

OMG!!! You sound like me!