Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tryin' Not To Whine...

Because I know that I live in North Idaho, and the weather is cold, snowy, windy, and not very nice for 4 months or so out of the year.  Yes, just Tuesday we had a high of 18.  And yesterday?


We had a high of 40.  Now the end of February, 40 would be good, but not in January.  Not after getting 13 inches of snow on Wednesday.  Followed by 5-7 inches of rain on Thursday...and wind.  All of these blended together, makes ice...  Ice on the less traveled side roads, ice in parking lots, and ice in my drive way.


Our driveway is about 400 ft long and slopes down hill a wee bit.  Our drive way is now impassable without 4 wheel drive and studded snow tires.  Lovely.  Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE my truck?  Well if not, I L.O.V.E. my truck! 
This late summer/early fall we did cut a new drive way through the "back" of the property.  It needed to settle and get we, so we could pack it and then gravel it.  So it had to set this winter.  It will have had plenty of time to settle and get wet by the time March/April comes around.


And thanks to this little freezing-thaw, it has just moved up the priority list quite a bit!  Another thing that has become a priority is making sure we take some gravel from the gravel pit and put it in an easy to access place.  That way when we need it, we can get to it!  As it stands now, the snow berms from clearing the drive way block access to the gravel pit.  And our hydraulic teaspoon (itty-bitty tractor) would need a whole day to get through that to clear a path to start digging for the semi frozen gravel. 


Yeup, just like Santa...I'm makin' a list and checking it twice!! 
Chad's gonna be one busy boy this spring!
This ice rink also prevents me from bringing Tari in for grain.  There is no way in he!! I am going to try and risk walking her across this mess to feed her...  The dogs fall down (and I do too...) on it, imagine what would happen to our baby momma!! 
She still gets her grain though...just more of it than I want her to have, as she has to eat slow enough that the other two can eat theirs as well.  So while they all eat, I get to stand in the middle of my little grain circle and police their movements.  It's quite fun...not!  Fiona would rather visit with me than eat her grain, so I practically have to hand feed it to her.  Silly little (16hh) horse!  (0:  And of course I did, because I think she needs grain more than the others over all.  She is still growing (ugh) and has enough TB in her that she seems to be a little bit harder to make "fat". 
Tari is and easy keeper and looks like the Good Ship Lolly Pop!  (0: 
Horse Girl is definitely not hurting either as she does her best to look like a blimp too.  
But Fi, Fi not so much! 
Supposed to be near 45 today with rain...lovely...just lovely!

No comments: