Saturday, January 29, 2011

Reining Myself In!

Chad, the dogs, the big girls (horses), the Hee-Haws, and I have now been in our own home for 4 months.  In these 4 months I have found myself bouncing around like a pin ball with my horse care.  Not in a bad way, but in an Oh My God, I only have My Own animals to care for!  And I can do what I want!! 


I can feed and care for them the way I want, without any outside influence!  I can buy hay from who I want and have it be the type I want, grain without fighting 7 others just to catch mine to move them to feed them extra.  Anyone who has had a herd of 10+ horses together at one time knows the anxiety that builds with in the masses when certain horses are caught for "special" care consistently.  (Its sooo much different if the same horses are caught to work...none of the others care about wet saddle pads...)  It gets so dramatic, that you rethink your "good" ideas and usually find it more work than its worth...unless is a quality of life situation, then you just slug it out.  But, when its just you wanting to supplement just in case, it becomes just a waste of time, energy, and money.
I always enjoy/enjoyed taking care of the horses, even at the Land Lords...but now I L.O.V.E. it again! 


 Back to my title of the blog tho... 
My sister has started herself a little business with her horses and in that was doing some evaluating of costs of care.  As we talked through her spreadsheet, I thought to myself...wonder what I have spent in these last 4 months on things I didn't buy at this time last year.
So I opened up my on-line statements and took a look.  No surprise, I had spent 8 times the amount in those 4 months after moving into my own place.  (0:  Ooops! 
I went into my tack/feed room and looked at what I had....
**Whole oats- not good for the horses, or Hee-Haws...I fed it out to the Hee-Haws in small quantities tho, just to be rid of it.
**Generic COB, wet- The corn in it, not so good and some of the other nutritional values not there...not great for anyone.  Finished feeding it out to everyone in low quantities.
**Beat Pulp- my new favorite extra...we will be keeping it!
**Alfalfa pellets- good stuff, but my hay is alfalfa grass mix.  No one needs a double dose of alfalfa...finishing it off to everyone in low quantities.
**NutraCool grain- given to me by the DTF  baby for Christmas to try...Love it, Love it.  We will be keeping this around.
 **Rice Bran- suggested by my sister for Fiona, because she seems to gain weight slowly and then praised by Postcards From Arizona  (and several of her commenter's) for helping her old horse put on weight...its a keeper!


I think I have myself a good meal set up going now.  Without extras that aren't needed in one way or another.  I guess I forgot to add the MetabolEaze Tari's on for her crabby horse tantrums...we will be keeping that too. 
It was good to have Mindy's evaluation help me realize that I had a lot going on that was completely unnecessary and wasteful.  It also helped to know that some of the stuff I was feeding was on track!  (0:
I think that overall the girls are happier here, they get some special treatment without sneaking around Tony, Mave, or Jamison to get it.  I don't know for sure, but the fact that they have nary a bite mark on their butts must mean something....


Do I miss these two?  Ummm...definitely not Tony...Mave, I was there when she was born, cared for her all 8 years of her life, but she is a bitch.  So not so much.  Jamison.  I was there for her entire life too from birth to 5.  She is sweet, but dangerous under saddle and tough on the ground when feeling threatened...  I feel bad for her.  I know her troubles are all man made....
And the big mules, nope. 
Tequila, yes.  She was a PITA and hard on the fences and a bit pushy on the ground, but a good soul none the less.


This old beast, yeup, I miss her, but am sooo glad she is in greener pastures and not at the "Ranch" without me...  RIP Becky Mule.  ( I know she has been gone 4 months, but I still miss her.)


 

2 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Having the budget I do and the herd I do I watch what I feed very closely. On my feed list you'll find beet pulp on rice bran too.

I think no bite marks on the butts says plenty. I wouldn't like seeing things like that on a regular basis.

Nikker said...

RR,
You were one of the commenters from PFA that I was thinking of! I am going to check with Dr. Peters when I see him later this month for "dental day" to find out about the calcium fortification in the rice bran. The bag I have now is not calcium fortified, and I really don't want to be harming anyone.
I don't miss the bite marks one bit! (0: And I am sure the girls miss them even less!