Monday, January 25, 2010

SF Bonnie Blue Smoke


.Fiona and Calamity, their yearling spring...Jamison on right.  These fillys are fraturnal sisters.  Calamity's mom is Give Me A Lickin' bred (Dash For Cash) and they are 3 weeks apart on their foaling dates.

Yet again another not so great registered name!!  We call her Fiona.  (Even though they had been calling her Bonnie when I first got her.)  Fi for short...anyway Fi was only 6 months old when she and her sister Calamity came to live with me and she had NO idea what her name was, oddly enough Calamity knew her name...hmmm!  Calamity now lives in Las Vegas with my friend Julie and is called Bella.  You can call her name and she comes right over to the fence, so I guess she likes Bella and having her named changed didn't bother her one bit!

Calamity's hinney on left Fiona's headless body on right...this was taken in March right before I brought home Tari.  Horse Girl is of course right there on the left.
 I knew I needed Fiona from the first time I saw her picture!  She was six weeks old and standing beside her momma.  She hadn't roaned out yet and they weren't sure at that time if she was going to, but honestly I didn't care.  I called my friend Marie and asked if they were going to sell Crystal's filly.  Crystal isn't Marie's she is Marie's really good friends mare, the sire however was Marie's.  Her friend had rejoined the Army after her divorce and after being out for a few years and Marie took her horse when she was unable to sell her.  Marie had actually tried to get me to buy Crystal when she was for sale, but I just didn't really need another horse at the time and didn't really want to drive for a half day just to try the mare.  Also I had known the friend of Marie's and didn't really like the way she rode or treated her horses.  She was proned to fly off the handle and hand them an ass whoopin'.  No I believe in spanking my horse so to speak, but she went overboard in my opinion...and if she had done some harm (mentally) to this mare, I just didn't want to have to work through that.


Fiona last summer, right toward the end of her lockdown, we had started working on her ponying skills at this point.
 Now Crystal is by The Signature and her registered name is Crystal Signature.  I really had no idea who The Signature was, but I do now...and am pretty happy to have his grand-baby at my house!!  He is a TB, so Crystal started out with Appendix papers, but she ran on the track...and boy did she run!  This mare has a speed index of 97 and even better than that, is the fact that ALL the mares on Fi's face papers have a speed index of 90 or greater!  My filly has a very strong mare line, and boy does that make me smile!!  I love a good mare more than I love ice cream!!  Fiona's sire is the same sire as Horse Girls roan colt Easy that I mentioned in Horses Girls post.  I love this stallion!  He has get standing in several different places, most of them cattle ranches and places that breed roans...as of Fiona's foal crop, Smoke was a 100% color producer and had never sired a red foal.


Fi begging for freedom!!  Note the pannel up past her natural head set...she still tried going over this later on...

As I may have said in an earlier post, I have had horses all my life.  I have had wrecks, injuries, and plenty of mishaps.  My old mare used to get hurt every other year it seemed.  Some pretty bad, some just inconvenient...but we would have a trouble free year followed by one with some grief.  One year ago the 31rst of this month Chad and I went to the barn to do who knows what....I know it was early in the A.M.as the Super Bowl hadn't started.  We were bringing our horses into the front of the barn and I looked at Fi.  She was sided up pretty close to Horse Girl and walking odd.  At first I made fun of her being a sissy and not liking the ice, but as she got closer to me, I could see we were in big trouble.  She had cut herself and it was pretty long and deep.  It was just above her left rear ankle.  So I called the vet and Chad went to hook up the trailer.  We loaded Fi and Horse Girl into the trailer and headed over to Dr. Peters.



Doing what she does best...this was this fall, if you look really hard you can see the left hind is a bit thick.

He took one look at her and said he'd have to sedate her and lay her down, he'd also like to take some images.  I said alrighty.  After putting her on the ground and cleaning up the wound he called me into the stall and showed me the visible damage.  She had a 1/4 cut to her flexor tendon and had nicked the bone.  (Well before we had pulled out, we had found what the little tard had done, she had jumped into the round bale feeder and ripped off one of the arms...and since we had plenty of snow and a big freeze, the thing didn't give and it just ate her.)  I was too wound up to get any pics of this little wreck, so you are spared from the blood and gore on this one!! ( :   As we were looking at the injury, I looked at him and asked if it was worth trying to repair the wound.  I am a realist and one of the things I really like about Dr. Peters is if you ask him for his opinion, he holds nothing back...I always tell everyone that he isn't afraid to make a girl cry.  He told me if I follow directions and don't get lazy or in a big hurry, she should heal just fine...but there is always a chance that she will never be sound.  He said if it were his horse, he would repair the wound and get to the healing process.  So that's just what we did.  She needed to stay over night, so we picked her up in the morning.

I told her we all feel like this somedays...(she is trying to get to Sally's feed.)

When I picked her up I had a zip drive with me and asked him to down load my x-rays onto it for me.  He looked at me and said really?  You'd like to have them?  I said yep!  He said, well lets get this figured out then!  It took maybe 10 minutes but we got it done!  And I'm glad we did!!  Fi had cut that tendon, chipped the bone, and actually gotten a hairline fracture of her cannon bone.  So in reality, she will at some point experience arthritis and some sort of lameness that will nag (hahha, I said nag when talking about my horse) her the rest of her life.  More than likely, Fiona will never be for sale...she will be my problem child forever.

Here are all of the pictures I got from the vet on the zip drive...showing all of them so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth outtat them!!  ( :  Double click to see them bigger, you can really see the damage pretty easily...If I had the technology on my computer, I'd give you an arrow...but I don't!! 








Fi spent nearly six months is a stall and then the stall and a 12x12 paddock with her stall.  We followed all the rules, well I did.  The little dumb ass jumped out of her paddock twice.  The first one I saw, and it wasn't pretty...she really went ass over tea kettle over it and bit her lip, skinned up her legs, tore down part of the fence, and gave me a heart attack.  It took all I had not to call the vet and haul her butt in to see if she had undone any of our hard work.  The second time she went over, one of the land lords morons was out and I'll save that storey, but I called the vet and said got any Prozac for horses, because if she pulls this crap one more time I may need to take it!  They actually have long lasting anesthesia that they use for just such problems like this.  So Fi got a dose.  It seemed to work and she stayed put the rest of her time on stall/paddock rest.

Another shot of her lumpy leg!

I had gotten some information from Restoring Joy about hydrotherapy for horses and made contact with the pool people for that, but they didn't open their pool last year.  So rather than getting someone else to do my "dirty" work, I ponied and hand walked her until I was able to turn her out again.  She didn't get turned out with the "big" horses, but was pastured with Becky Mule, the Hee Haws, and Sally (Sally is the next horse I will post on!)  Her sister Calamity-Bella had already left for Sin City by the time Fiona got to taste freedom again.

She is such a good eater!!  ( :

Fiona is as sound as can be right now and I'm pretty happy about that!  She lives with everyone else and romps around like a "normal" horse.  She turned 3 Jan. 1rst with the rest of the AQHA registry, but as far as I'm concerned doesn't really until May 13th.  She has space issues because I had space issues when she was in the stall and confined for all that time.  She pushes, bumps, rubs, and mugs you when she feels the need.  The vet told me on our last visit that the last time he saw a horse that mugged you like that it was a 12 year old girls horse...then he winked at me...not sure what he meant by that, but she really doesn't get the space thing for the most part.  Now you can drive her away and demand she maintains and she will, but if left to her own devices she will touch you head to toe.  If you have anything sticking out, she will take it and if the opportunity arises, she will grab your shoe laces.  I do not recommend ever letting this happen to you, she can and will yank you off of your feet.  Then look at you like, "What'd you do that for?"


Sally on the left...I love this filly too!!  ( :  Fiona liked to boss Sally around, honestly I think Sally just let her to make Fi feel better about herself!  ( :

As far as getting her going under saddle, I know she is going to buck, she knows she is going to buck...So I have decided to send her to the same man that started Tari. (I am not afraid of bucking or being bucked off, but with some of my other spring/summer plans, I know that I won't be as consistent as I like to be when starting my babies....) His name is Marrio Johnson.  Last fall he won the Wyoming Mustang Challenge.  I like his work!!  I know that Fi won't come back like Tari, but if he can master a mustang, he can master my monster!  ( :  Fi won't be going to Mario alone, Sally will be going to.  I will keep you posted on how this turns out!  ( :







1 comment:

Karen V said...

BAD PONY!! She's GORGEOUS! Candice is going to open the pool this year. Apparently she closed it last year because she had a baby. Can you imagine such a thing? How dare she!