Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Horsecyn Tari Arowin

Go ahead and say it with me...what was that person smoking/drinking when they gave that mare a name like that?  God only knows...


Tari's Brand...Chad says it reads XL if you are riding her looking down.

 
As far as I am concerned her name is the only bad thing about Tari.  When Mindy and I pulled into that empty fair grounds in Dingle Idaho I wasn't sure just what we were going to see.  I had seen the Barrel Horse World add and liked the filly, but photo's can be deceiving.  Hers weren't.  Although she was in her winter woollies when we saw her in "person" and her add photo's were in summer, she was outstanding!  I have already mentioned (in a previous post) her former owner Becky Ipsen...here is her family's web site... http://www.ipsencattle.com/home.html  If you go to it, and look at the horses for sale page, Tari is still on there...bottom left picture, and look at how sleek she looks as a two year old!!  The big bay colt Horsecyn Pistol Indy is her full brother...hes for sale...  Also here is Becky's brother-in-laws site.... http://www.jardineperformancehorses.com/   ( I wish I could link it all professional like, but I am challenged some days!!  LOL!!) These are good honest people and if you are ever in the market for a horse, check out what they have for sale....you never know!!


This Summer....

As you may have read in the post just before this one, Tari was my sisters horse first.  But Mindy found a super cute little mare on Barrel Horse World that she just couldn't live without.  The mares name was Ruth when she got her...and of course HATED that name!!  This mare was a Streakin' Lajolla filly...maybe grand filly...I can't remember now.  On the top...and the bottom was Beduino...I think...ugh, I really want to tell you!!  But Mindy just couldn't live without her and her husband just couldn't live with three horses.  Men!!  So I purchase Tari and Mindy purchased Ruth.  When the Ruth mare arrived at Mindy's she was skin and bones...Hence her new name Boney.  I will see if I can remember to tell you all more about Boney in a later post...its a good storey for us all to learn from...


This was taken last April...look at that chest!!

Now you can call me out on the carpet over this next statement, but I think that this mare has near perfect conformation.  When I look at her she flows....I just love the way she looks!!  Her expression is always kind and alert, she is good natured rain or shine.  Tari's motto is definately, every day is a good day.  She ties in oh so well everywhere...and she has the BEST feet on the planet!  Every time my farrier comes out he tells me how great they are and how he wishes that he saw more horses with feet this nice!  I was always taught "no foot, no horse", so that really makes me smile!! And  because I am uptight about my horses feet!!


Again, last April picture...what you can't see is that she is following Chad...

I will say, that if there is one  and only one thing I don't like about Tari, its that she likes everybody.  Now you may be wondering what is wrong with me on this, but I like "my" horse to prefer me over other people.  My first horse was my best friend, and it was obvious to everyone who was around...I want that bond again.  But I was a kid and lived on the back of Quoata (my old mare and my first horse as well)...I don't have that kind of time anymore...and I don't know if that makes a difference...but I wish Tari liked me the way I love her!!  ( :


Numnumnumnumnum!!

Tari is a very nice horse to ride, but has a habit of getting behind the bit on you...and I admit, that I am guilty of daydreaming sometimes...and being heavy handed...but not all the time.  So rather than making the both of us suffer, I decided to try a different bit on her...and when I say bit, I mean mechanical hackamore.  We are currently riding in a little S.  It works perfectly for us!  Tari is a little lazy and has a great stop, so I don't need anything with a lot of whoa.


Been caught stealin'...
 I have started Tari on cows, and is slowly getting cowy...  Now this mare will work the pants off of the mini donkeys when the mood strikes her, but working a steer is coming a wee bit slower.  I am NOT experienced in working cows, but the neighbor with the cows has been coaching me some.  I do wonder if some of her problems are me and my inexperience.  I will ponder this for a while and then just go with the flow probably.  I do so wish I had a very clear path for this mare, but I don't.  She suffered in training this last year (2009) thanks to Fiona...and so this year I will try and get her on the track I was hoping for last year...but we will see!  Oh, and that is to get to loping a barrel pattern.  She has seen it and we have done a small amount of work on it, but not nearly enough...and I was hoping to get her and I into some sort of trainer to help us along last year...  So crossing my fingers for this year!  ( :


This fall...

This year will be a big year for Tari also in the dating fashion!  Now I know that some of you are thinking why would you breed a horse in this market.  First let me remind you, I am not, my sister is...although I am an enabler!  LOL!  It is a valid question and the answer isn't really cut and dry, I suppose.  Now although Tari's pedigree is very sound....Sound enough to get into Dash Ta Fame's breeding book.  This stallion isn't breeding to just anyone...And this mare is nice, nice, nice, far nicer than any of my pictures will show.  There are a lot of cow/speed horse crosses out there tearing it up in the barrel world right now, and that is what my sister has planned for this foal.  My sister has all of the means to take this foal just as far as it can go, and the brains to know what she is doing...so Tari is going to be a momma!  There is also the argument that yes there are a few DTF babies for sale right now on Barrel Horse World and like sites...but look that the price tags these guys are packing, and the sellers are getting it.  (We did do a little market research just to be sure!  We might be nuts, but we aren't stupid!)   Believe me when I say that there is nothing wrong with growing one of these versus buying it!




I have a feeling that you will see a lot of Ol' Tar Baby as this blog progresses...and I hope you all love her as much as I do!!

I am pretty mad at myself for not having any really good pictures of this horse, but she seems to be always eating or coming towards me.  So my late New Years Resolution...more and better pictures of Tari!



5 comments:

Karen V said...

She's lovely! I like her!

mrscravitz said...

She is beautiful! I love the whie on her face.

horsecanyon said...

Ha, I own her mother, owned her sire, sold her, oh and I named her.
Pretty cool that she has a DTF baby anyway.

koolcowgirl5 said...

I miss her so much, she was my baby, when she was a baby. Good to know she is happy and healthy.

Nikker said...

Horsecyn,
First let me apologies for being mean spirited about Tari's name. It was childish...and I really didn't think anyone was drunk or high when they named her, it really was a joke.

Everyone who has met Tari absolutely loves her. She is one in a million on many levels and my sister was quite honored that she was able to get into Dash Ta Fames book...and when Speedy was born, she knew she'd really lucked out. He is a phenomenal colt.
We hope to get Tari finished on the pattern after Speedy is weaned and start competing on a more competitive level locally and move out from there.
I hope you'll check in from time to time to see Tari's colt grow and see how she is doing.

Thanks for stopping by!

NIKKI