Friday, November 13, 2009

Mike Rowe For President

Alrighty then...I am not into politics, so I may be going out on a limb here...but I am pretty sure that they Dirty Jobs guy is...well the guy who should be our next president!  If you haven't already, please check out his web site!  Here is the link: http://www.mikeroweworks.com/ .  If that doesn't work, google Mike Rowe, then go to Mike Rowe Works.  Its a pretty fun website and offers a lot of good information.  The Mission Statement is what got me!  I stole it to share with you....Doesn’t it seem strange that we can have a shortage of skilled labor, a crumbling infrastructure, and rising unemployment? How did we get into this fix? Are we lazy? Our society has slowly redefined what it means to have a “good job.” The portrayals in Hollywood and the messages from Madison Avenue have been unmistakable. “Work less and be happy!” For the last thirty years we’ve been celebrating a different kind of work. We’ve aspired to other opportunities. We’ve stopped making things. We’ve convinced ourselves that “good jobs” are the result of a four year degree. That’s bunk. Not all knowledge comes from college. Skill is back in demand. Steel toed boots are back in fashion. And Work Is Not The Enemy. 
As a small business owner I could go on and on about trying to find good help.  I kid you not when I say that our "most senior" employee has been with us just one year.    We have been through 7 outside hires and 11 temps...I have kept track...  Now there are probably a million reasons why some have come and gone, but trying to find someone who will come to work on time when scheduled, come to work ready to work, able to seperate themselves from their cell phones, and home drama for a mere 8 hours is a huge struggle!  Then there is the matter of sobriety/drug testing....I won't even go into wages, vacation, and benifits issue...ugh!  All we need, is some one who can and will work for 8 hours a day for 5 days a week...Ok, I'm done now!!

MIKE ROWE FOR PRESIDENT!!

No comments: