Saturday, July 21, 2012

You Could Buy One Cheaper, Who Turned Up The Vacuum?

That soft sucking sound has now become a full on roar.  Oh, yippee.  Now I know I said it's about the journey just as much as it is about getting the mare in foal...
I'm not changing my tune, but this is getting ridiculous!
I have said before that if it weren't for bad luck, this mare wouldn't have any luck at all!
So here's the latest on Horse Girl and her 2012 breeding season...
Got her infection cleared, egg developing nicely, mare hauled back to farm for breeding....
And she refused the stallion.  She did this on Sunday night and then again Monday morning.  So Terry loaded he up and hauled her and the stallion to the vets office to A.I. her, Monday early afternoon.  I of course was in the loop the entire time and gave the OK for everything.  They got her loaded into the stocks and ultra sounded her before collection of the stallion, and she had already ovulated.  The vet opted out of breeding her because he said that he felt that at best our chances of conception were 50/50 and he felt he would be wasting my money.
He of course has no real explanation why she would stand for the stallion once and then refuse him the next time around.
So now it's a what to do type of situation.
Bring her home empty.  Then what... Try to breed her again next year using A.I. and doing with with Dr. Peters...  Try it again and use another mare.  If we did that, who would I use???
Leave her there and give it one last try.  How many tries is too many??  How much money is too much money??
Well, I decided that I'd cap the vet at $700.  I discussed this with him and the breeder.  They are both understanding.  I definitely didn't plan for this.  I did put some aside for extras, but I am not going to kid myself or you...I didn't plan for this type of issue.
I spoke with the vet and he said that although she is healthy and has had healthy pregnancies, he uterus is just "out of practice" and she is now classified as a problem mare.  Yippee....  He said that if she takes this time, he sees no reason why she couldn't carry full term and then next year getting her in foal  will be much easier.  Probably with no problems at all.  I had to stifle a laugh at the next year thing.  Ummmm, I'm guessing that there won't be a next year breeding unless someone wants to do a breed lease on her...
This is her last hurrah as far as I go.  Chad just wanted a baby to keep out of her.
So getting back on target...we are short cycling her today (Saturday) for a breeding on Tuesday or Wednesday. (Via A.I.) Then we will ultrasound her at or around the following Monday to make sure she didn't/ doesn't fill with fluid AND then we will ultra sound at 15 days to check for a healthy embryo.
Are we having fun yet??
 LMAO!

3 comments:

Shirley said...

I understand about wanting a foal out of a treasured mare. It seems like you are doing the best you can by her, so I really hope you are successful and get a nicefoal.

Kellie said...

Well, that is definately a bummer. Never heard of a mare refusing a stallion the second time. Hope this last shot works for you all. Fingers crossed :)

Nikker said...

I am not good at quitting...even when I should. But this really is the last try. I admit I kinda got foal fever, but I have finally been able to draw a line for myself!!