Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fighting The Bugs

Ahhh, summer time bugs.  Good grief!  We have these rotten little black gnats again.  I am thinking that these are going to be an every year thing here.  Bah hum bug!  :0)
I have gotten myself a little routine that I am using that seems to mostly work. 
I also throw in the eared fly masks every other day, but they are ugly and I didn't take a picture of them.  The every other day thing gives them a break from being gooped up.


I'm using the Skin So Soft on their faces and inside their ears.  I don't like to put the "chemicals" around their eyes or in there ears.  I have no good reason other than to me it seems safer to use the Skin So Soft...  ;0)
I use the Repel-X Lotion on their chest, bellies, and inside their hind legs.  I then rotate every second day with the Repel-X spray and the Bronco spray.  Reason for this??  The Bronco has citronella in it and the Repel-X does not.  The One Spot that I used late last week, seems to be taking care of the flies, but not the gnats.  


While getting the horses as close to bug free as I can/could I decided to get a few confirmation pictures.  I need to get some of Fiona so that I can get her registered in my name.  :0)  Yes, that's right.  Fi is 5 and I bought her right off of her momma and she is still registered in her breeders name.  I have all of the paper work in order, just haven't ever got it done.  So I decided this year to just do it...  Well these won't work because of the focus being off and shadows...  But I decided to force them on anyone who reads this!  Sorry!!


I wish her summer coat was more like Remi' and had some dapples in it...  But no such luck. 
I'm sure it's just the coat pattern, but maybe she needs something she is not getting.  Hard to tell...unless I get off my hinney and research it I guess!  


And then here's the knot on her head that kept me from moving her to a better spot to try and get her photo.  I need to make sure the pictures show her very faint star, but don't want them to show her as a knot head!  Heheheee...  It's almost gone today, 5 days later.  It was never hot, and she never acted like she was in any sort of pain, but it looks ugly.
I'm guessing she got stung as there were no hairs out of place anywhere in the area of the bump.


And of course some pictures of Remi.  The Remster of course has papers that are lost to us.  So there is not need for any such pictures of her...
But she is just too awesome not to take pictures of!  (0:


You may or may not notice that Remi isn't tied to the trailer.  That is because she gets kinda weird occasionally when messing with her head while tied.  This way if I upset her, she can take a few steps back with out any restriction and settle herself easily.  She is coming along nicely with her head handling, but she still has her moments.


I've read that diatomaceous earth helps keep flies down when fed to the horses.  I am wondering if it would help with the gnats.  The pasture needs cleaned again, because we have one high traffic/lounge area where they really mess it up.  Sadly it's also where they eat and drink.... Nothing like a really dirty kitchen is there?  :0)


Out to ride before work...  There really are some benefits to swing shift, I get to be out before the heat of the day!!

7 comments:

Shirley said...

Have you tried a smudge fire during the evening when the skeeters and gnats are bad? I just use a 45 gallon drum cut in half and fill it with old hay or straw. You might need some paper to get it going, but it works great. The smoke drives the bugs away over a large area. Beamer comes and stands right close to it as we light it- it's in his pen- and once he has his "smoke perfume" on the bugs aren't inclined to land on him and he can go eat in peace. The smoke drifts over to the mare shelter where they eat so they get relief too.

Kellie said...

Last year we were major miserable with those little black gnats. This year (fingers crossed) not sooo bad. We have been using durashield. It seems to repel most annoying bugs.

For the first time ever, we've got horse flys up at the house. Which is weird.. I've been smacking them daily by the dozen.

I saw some of that diatomaceous yesterday at the feed/supply store and almost got some just to try it out.. next time.

Hope you had a good ride.

Nikker said...

Shirley- That is pure genius! I love that idea. We have a burn barrel that the previous owners used. I haven't used it at all... I will have to check with Chad to see if he'll let me try it! :0)
Kellie- Ride was great, but I have to admit, these little trails are getting old. I am going to have to break down and start hauling somewhere! Ugh! I'm going to look into the durashield. I have not been able to find diatomaceous at our feed stores. It's so frustrating 3 stores and none to be had.

Karen V said...

Diatomaceous earth won't help repel flies. It doesn't work that way. It will work as a natural dewormer. The exoskeletons of the diatoms act like razors and cut the flesh of the parasites, killing them. Be sure you feed medical grade. You can use non medical grade on the poop piles to kill larvae. Works for ants too

Karen V said...

Diatomaceous earth won't help repel flies. It doesn't work that way. It will work as a natural dewormer. The exoskeletons of the diatoms act like razors and cut the flesh of the parasites, killing them. Be sure you feed medical grade. You can use non medical grade on the poop piles to kill larvae. Works for ants too

Karen V said...

Diatomaceous earth won't help repel flies. It doesn't work that way. It will work as a natural dewormer. The exoskeletons of the diatoms act like razors and cut the flesh of the parasites, killing them. Be sure you feed medical grade. You can use non medical grade on the poop piles to kill larvae. Works for ants too

Karen V said...

Diatomaceous earth won't help repel flies. It doesn't work that way. It will work as a natural dewormer. The exoskeletons of the diatoms act like razors and cut the flesh of the parasites, killing them. Be sure you feed medical grade. You can use non medical grade on the poop piles to kill larvae. Works for ants too