Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Second Open Day

Sorry for the delay in this little tale, but OMG I am too old for this shit!  ( :  The heat, the baby, the extra horse care, and the friends....man oh, man I just lost my head of steam!  So now if I can get back on track...

First off, there are no pictures and no video for this day!  Shame on me!  Mindy's husband Fred took video with Mindy's camera as I was riding one of my friend Julies horses in the warm up area.  So Fred shot the video and it looked good on the camera, but my computer gave me the big bite me when I tried to down load it.  LOVELY!  It said that it didn't recognise the format.  Really???  I really don't love Windows Vista.  Ugh! 

This is my attempt to download the video...nice isn't it?

Julie ran before Mindy again, and she and her Captain horse ran almost a full second faster than the first day!  We were soo excited for them and hoping for the same for my sister!  I went down with Mindy to help her get Breeze ready while the baby napped and Fred got ready for the day.  On our way to Breeze's stall we bumped into Julie who was of course over the moon about her run!  This was the "big money" day and a good run was important if you wanted to see a check!  709 runs on the first day and 650 this day, before the late entries!  That's a lot of horses...

Wyatt meeting that kid in the window.

Julie talked me into going over to Barn B where her horses were and see her Calvin and Emma horses.  They are her babies in training and were there for the exposure.  It didn't take her long to convince me that we should saddle up and follow Mindy and Breeze into the warm up arena.  How can I say no?  ( :

There are several of these...enjoy!  ( :

Julie rode Emma, who is a Toll Tac bred mare and I rode Calvin who is a Beduino bred gelding.  (Mindy's Breeze mare is Beduino/Streaking Six bred.)  Julie describes Emma as having a basket full of snakes in her head, but she did great.  Poor Calvin just didn't "get" what I was asking him to do...but he is young and things were busy and I had never set eyes on him before that day...  So I am pretty sure that he just didn't trust me much and I couldn't figure out how to give him the support he needed for such an afternoon.  But I still had a great time riding him!  He is forward moving and really fancy.  I can't wait to see him in the next couple of years taking Julie to the pay window! 


Julie and I cheered Mindy on from the holding area next to the arena.  Breeze was pretty good going into the first barrel, then shouldered into the second and sent it spinning, wrapped the third scooted home.  Her time was pretty close to the day before, but of course a no time due to the barrel being down. 


Julie and I me Mindy, Fred, and Wyatt at Breeze's stall after we put our mounts away.  Julie was on her way to the stands to video tape a few friends who were running in the mid 300's and we were going to eat some lunch after the horse was cared for. 


We walked Breeze cool, cleaned her stall, watered her and headed off for some food.  After eating we did a little bit of shopping and learned some good stuff from the Circle Y guy.  They have some pretty nice new saddles and are working with Kelly Keminski I believe...but I could be wrong.  It was 4 days ago you know!  ( :  At any rate he talked about the changes they had made in the tree and the bottom of the saddle.  They are using leather and gel padding rather than fleece.  I really like it.  I have to save my pennies and maybe after a year or so I can have one!  ( :  LoL!  I must admit that i was expecting more shopping than I got, but what do you do? 


We found out that the neurotic horse was a futuritied by LG.  Hmmm, and he runs like...well like his screw is down to its last thread.  I have to tell you though that one in three horses seemed to hit a barrel or run off pattern on Saturday.  Mindy saw someone flat bucked off on Friday in the outside warm up pen, we all saw someone take a header off her horse on the second barrel on Saturday, then we saw a saddle go under a horse and pitch the rider on the first barrel (should have checked her cinch I guess ) two different horses took the first barrel and went home without even looking at the other two...  We also saw some fantastic runs...


Saturday wound down and Mindy decided to see if Julies horse Chiropractor/Vet was still there, because Mindy felt that Breeze's atlas may out.  Julie told us she would track down Tonya and see if she would see Mindy's mare.  We  hit the hay with an idea of how we were going to get out of Vegas as quickly and efficiently as possible the following day. (Sunday)  As we still had to pick up Fiona, Sally, and Chix from the trainers on the way home.

No comments: