Friday, May 28, 2010

Making Babies Is Hard Work!

So my Tari mare went to Dr. Peter's for her 14 day visit after her DTF cover on Monday the 24th, and no baby!  Worse yet, she was in another heat cycle.  We know for sure that she ovulated on the 8th of this month.  Lovely. 

Dr. Peters said not too uncommon, yet not too common either.  He went on to explain the heat cycle curve and all the science behind the bell curve that we track horses heat cycles with.  Wish I could remember more to share with you, but I was sorely disappointed that she wasn't packing Mindy's NFR barrel horse in her cute little (chubby) horse belly, and lost a lot of info to the wind!

Dr. Peters said, he could see a follicle on her left ovary and the mare needed to stay at his place.  He called Dr. Swyers and order up another 'round of semen to be shipped out Wednesday the 26.  On Tuesday the 25th while I was mowing the lawn Dr. Peters called to say that he had just ultra sounded Tari and the follicle was still there so if we had any luck at all it would hold on until the semen arrived on Wednesday.  I told him I would cross my fingers and sacrifice a chicken in hoped all would work out.  There are no chickens on this place and the geese run when they see me and the dogs coming, so crossing my fingers was all I really had to offer.  Maybe I should have crossed my fingers right away rather than finishing the lawn...hmmmm.

I was out on the floor working and had left my cell phone on my desk so I missed Dr. Peters call Wednesday morning.  The news he had to relay really wouldn't have been good rather I talked to him in person or not.  Follicle had dropped....semen order cancelled.

I called Dr. Peters' office to request he call me back with an idea on how I can make this baby happen.  True to any doctor he called me back 5 hours after I called him.  He had a game plan though.

He had decided to take the hormones into his own hands and bring her into heat with meds.  Perfect!  ( :  He wanted to start with some hormone therapy on Thursday the 3rd of June....  Uh, oh!  I won't be here...more on that later.  I asked Chad if he thought he could give a shot to Tari.  He said he'd try.  I told Dr. Peters I'd have a plan for handling his plan when I picked the mare up at 4:30 that afternoon.

Chad was on board so the next step was finding out what my sister wanted to do, after all it was her money, foal to be, and schedule to get the horse "going" once it was of age...and who wants to wait a couple of extra weeks? 

Mindy decided that dropping Tari off at the vets office before we left on our grand journey and then picking her up after we returned would be the best bet.  That way she would not loose anymore time on her grand plan.  She also didn't want to put Chad out anymore that she already feels shes done by "taking" me with her next week.  She said she wants him to still like her in a month.  LOL!  I tried to tell her that it would take a lot more than that to make him not like her, but she is set on this plan so that is what we will do!

So as it is right now, Tari will be dropped off at the vets office on Wednesday June 3rd and picked up the following Wednesday.  This time with a fertilized egg floating around in her belly. I hope! 


No comments: