Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pardon Me While I Get On My Soap Box...

Now that I am up here, I have to vent.

I am admitting to being VERY thankful that Chad and I's small business is surviving in these less than wonderful times.  I feel VERY bad for those who are struggling...I help where I can, when I can, and who I can.  My family has NOT been spared from this crisis we are in as a nation.
We are NOT rich, if we were, we would NOT be living at the land lords place!!  And the shop wouldn't be paying rent...that being said, here's what has been spinning my screw...

We have had several people of varying ages come through the door lately asking for a business card.  I say "may I ask why", they say "I need it for my unemployment".  I say, "are you looking for a job"?  They say "yes".  I say "I would be more than happy to set you up with a job interview with Chad.  We have a full time swing shift position open, we are willing to train the "right" person, and wages are D.O.E".  They say "OK, but can I have a card?"  I say, "nope, not until after the job interview."  They say, "Can I talk to the owner or manager."  I say, "I am the owner."  They say, "Oh."  Then they leave.  REALLY PEOPLE?!  Give me an F-ing break!!  Get off of your lazy asses and give something else a shot!!  If you are trying to get your extension on your unemployment, there is a good chance that job isn't going to be there in another 20-52 weeks any way!!  Are we really that lazy as a nation?  Good grief...

My sister has one better though, I need to share (this is what spawned this blog today)...

She got a call yesterday afternoon from a man who wanted to use them as a reference for his unemployment.  She asked him if he was actually looking for a job.  He said yes, so she said come on in anytime after 2:00 pm today and we will interview you for the position we have open.  He asked what the position was and she said that they were looking for someone to wash the cars on the lot and also to detail them.  He hung up on her.  He called from his home phone.  She wrote down his name, number, and some short notes on their conversation in case the dummy tries to use them and she does get a call from unemployment.  My sister is 8 months pregnant and she is the one who washes and details the cars on their small family owned and operated used car lot.  She does this all year long...if its warm enough for the water to run and not freeze to the car, she washes them...now in a short time, they will need someone in all honesty.  Her estimation is for 3-4 months...maybe less...but if you do a good job, and have the aptitude for it, who says he couldn't have been selling cars by then?  Maybe he could have started doing their in house re-po's...maybe he could have started doing the paper work and ended up running the place while Mindy and Fred are on vacation?  We will never know...he will never know...this guy is too good to even come in and interview for the job.  Really?  But he is not too good to file an extension when his benefits run out.  He is too good to take a minimum wage job....Really?  Are you?  At what point to you just grab yourself by the boot straps and say, I will find another way to make a living?  Guess he and many like him just aren't there yet. 

1 comment:

mrscravitz said...

I totally agree with you on this! I answer the phone for the place I work, and whenever I get a phone call asking if we are hiring, I say, we are accepting applications, and invite them to come down and fill one out. In the line of work in which I work, we go through employees a lot.