Monday, July 15, 2013

Horse Girl's Summer

Finally getting around to blogging something...  It's been a long time, but mostly because Mindy and I haven't been able to have ANY horse adventures!  It's crazy how much we actually did last year and the year before, even though we live a days drive apart!  (0:


Now, Horse Girl is rarely involved in our adventures as she has not been ridden in...
Are you ready for this????


5 years!  (0:  
Good gravy...  When I think about that, I wonder just how nuts I am to have a "useless" horse on my feed bill...
Oh, what the hay, it's only money, right?


As you may or may not remember, we tried to breed her last year.
Vet said empty...and some other things that made me NOT trust her, so I decided to hold out hope until spring of this year.


I kept an eye on her, and her ummm.....  Urination habits, and sure enough, those naught little donkeys announced that she was in season.  )0:
I contacted the breeder, they said no problemo.  Get her to the vet, and lets get her bred.


And then her limp got worse...an abscess.  
Then limping for other reasons.
More tweaking of her feet.
Made a vet appointment, it got canceled due to an emergency.  
Then Tari went into training.  Half cost to me, half cost to Mindy.


Then I found out I WAS pregnant...  
Oh, and still more limping.  
I opted out of my re-breed.
Why?
Why not....


I'm not happy with the fact I can't seem to get her pasture sound... Adding all that weight to her, I feel is wrong.  So more work with Jake on this...  And right or wrong, I'm really on the fence about getting x-rays for a definite diagnosis.
Next, I'm wanting Tari and Fiona's training to progress. (Although Fiona's is covered for this year...Tari NEEDS to preform for Speedy's future!)  If I've failed to mention it before, Tari is with the BRC for 4 months.  Working on her work ethic and the barrel pattern. 
Ugh, yeah, Tari wants to work one day and act a fool the next...
Mares!!
Lastly, I am pretty sure that Chad's son...(0: ....... Will have me TOO busy to actually do an justice to my foal next year.
Now, will I try and breed again next year?


Probably...
(0:
Regardless, of what she does or doesn't do...
I love this crazy red head!!
And as far as her summer, I think it's going just the way she likes it...
Slow and easy!!  (0:


3 comments:

Shirley said...

Exciting news- when are you due?
There sure seem to be a lot of abscesses this year.

Nikker said...

Thank you Shirley!
I'm due Sept. 5th, not too much longer. I am secretly hoping that I get to ride around the place in Oct.! (0:
I wish you lived closer, I'd have you look at her feet and angles just for a fresh eye. I don't doubt Jake, but information is information! (0: Horse Girls lameness is just about driving me nuts!

Kellie said...

Horse girl is living the normal horse dream - eat, poop, sleep - repeat.

I sure don't blame ya for wanting to breed her and really having a baby is a lot of fun.

Sept 5 is rollin right up! and a son!! How exciting!! Hope you continue to feel good :)