Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Stuff That Really Happens At My House!


My husband and I don't see eye to eye on everything.  Big shock isn't it? (0:
One example of this is when I talk about using horse manure as fertilizer.  He likes to point out that there are better fertilizers out there.  I like to point out that I have plenty of horse manure on hand at all times and we should use it...and share it with anyone who needs some.  He usually just rolls his eyes and tells me how horse manure is not a cure all for things...

Some days when feeling particularly brave, he will "pretend" to be me and have a fake "conversation" with my sister Mindy.  In these conversations, we are discussing all the things we do with horse manure while our husbands aren't looking.  It is usually pretty funny...  I do however wonder just what he thinks we talk about.

So on Monday, this little episode played out...
And I think I won, but you be the judge!

 I was putting out a round bale Monday...while talking on the phone with my sister.  (We were talking about the pain it is to feed in the mud...and ways to handle the mud...)  I ended up dropping Steve (my phone) in the mud/poop/water, of course it splashed ALL over me. I picked up and wiped Steve off as best I could, and continued talking....

When Chad came home from work he gave me a kiss "hello" and asked me what was new, I told him the above story but also added that I was pretty sure I got horse poop in my mouth... Nothing is funnier than watching Chad try and "wash" his mouth out with his beer while gagging out the words, "Are you serious?" 
"Of course, I was serious!!" I responded!!

We will see how sassy he is next time I talk about what we should do with the horse manure that I clean from the pasture!!


3 comments:

Shirley said...

Too funny! I compost out manure, just a big heap in the middle of the mare pen, and turn it with the tractor bucket a couple times a year. After about a year it turns to dirt, and is absolutely wonderful in the garden; in fact all my garden dirt once used to be horse and cow pooh. Makes great veggies!

Kellie said...

Oh that is great!! Men, I tell ya.. lol

Karen V said...

Since we moved here seven years ago, I/Mike/we have moved our manure pile to the arena, spread it out, and rototilled it under. (Oh the joys of having our own tractor with a rototiller!) Anyway, this fall we noticed that there were patchy places in our new lawn. So I suggested to Mike that we get the tractor, scoop some dirt out of the arena, and use it to backfill the holes with a shovel. He was game so we did. Now, two months later, you can TOTALLY see where we put it! The grass is a darker gree, and grows taller and faster than the "old" lawn. True...it is broken down and has been "worked" but hey, like you said, I have an endless supply. I can move manure from the pile, work it in, and in a couple months have AWESOME dirt! The only thing I DON'T have is a spreader... which would really come in handy! Oh yeah, horse manure is the BEST fertilizer...especially when its free!