Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Just When I'd Made Up My Mind...

I find out, I'm pretty much putty in her hoof....


So, I've been pondering stuff.  This that and the other when it comes to my horses, work, time, husband, dogs, life, and the universe.
O.K., maybe not all of that stuff.
 But some of it.
Especially the horse stuff.


None of my pondering has ANYTHING to do with the New Vets comments, I'm still considering knocking her out if I ever see her again.  (0:
But I have been pondering the horses.  I will never be without a horse or two.  But do I need 4?  5 if I can get Horse Girl to take?
Probably not.  Actually definitely not.  They are just so easy to "collect"!  (0:
I really love my girls, and don't want them to go just anywhere....


I've sold horses in the past to friends, given them to family members, sold them to strangers, but the 4 that I have now are all horses I thought I'd keep forever...and I still may.
But then they are days when I think I should sell one for the good of the others.  I'm still working 6-7 days a week, and every year I'm sure this is the LAST month of this stuff...then surprise, it's not.  One less horse to love on and care for would free up time for the others...everyone would get more of me! (Man that reads weird as I re-read this...more of me... LOL!!)
I've decided to try and look at it as not a loss, but a gain...
Sort of "Spockesk" in the sacrifice of one for the good of many.


So on Sunday, I decided the "best" horse to "sacrifice" would be Fiona.  Conformationaly Fi is pretty sound.  She has a few things that I'd like to fix, but don't they all?  She also has a decent pedigree.  I think that she may be a great option for a barrel horse breeding program.  Why breeding you ask, or maybe you don't.  Either way, I'm telling you why!!  But I think selling her as a broodmare prospect might be a good idea.  She is sound now, but did sustain a substantial injury as a yearling, that could go to pot at some point.  She has 120 +/- rides on her and is willing and enjoyable.  She can be ridden and really there is no reason not to, but I thought I'd advertise her as a ridable broodmare prospect.


I know that this is NOT the time of year for an easy sale.  But I'm not in a big hurry....
So with my add loosely written, I set out to take pictures of Fiona.  I figured I'd advertise her on Barrel Horse World, Dreamhorse, and a Facebook page for broodmares.  I just wanted to get some casual confirmation pictures.  For truly interested parties, I'd take better photos when Chad could help me.
And I knew that it was going to be easier said then done.  Because taking pictures usually is, especially when your subject thinks that you are a vending machine.
Or a massage parlor operator.


So I tried several different approaches to taking Fi's picture. 
I used grain.
I used hay.
I played like I didn't want her picture.  
I played with the dogs.
 I ran from her.
I hid from her.
And all she did was follow loyally.  Positioning herself just right for scratching.  Sniffing my feet.  Grabbing the bottom of my shirt, my jeans, and grabbing my camera strap and jerking...
Reminding me every step of the way, that she was supposed to be the last horse I ever needed to own.
(She is bred to be sort of an all around horse.) 
Reminding me that she is supposed to be the "replacement" (if there is such a thing for her...) for Quoata.


So guess who lost all their nerve?  (0:





3 comments:

Shirley said...

Yeah they'll do that! Right when you think about selling onbe they come a-lovin' up un you, batting those bog ole horsey eyes... yup- putty!

Kellie said...

I know! I can sure talk big about thinning down the herd, but when it comes right down to it.. Much harder than it sounds. Shoot I cried like a baby when we sold Cowboy this summer.

Nikker said...

(0: I'm weak...and I've never owned a horse I didn't love...