Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Making Babies Cry II

We arrived at my house and unloaded everyone.  Breeze looked around for Mo, called a few times and then settled in to eating her hay.  She would take a few bites and then call, but all in all she did well that first afternoon.  We texted The BRC to check on Mo.  He was still calling his momma, but seemed alright other than that.  After evening feeding, it was cocktails, bon fire, and off to bed.


The plan was now to get Mindy, Wyatt, and the horses on the road as early as possible.  Figuring that would give her more time to get them settled in the day light once she got home.  Our plan in loading them was just the opposite as the first time.  Put Breeze in first, tie her so that she could look at Speedy and then get Speedy loaded.


Breeze hopped in and then started calling for her baby.  She had been pretty quiet all morning, but once in the trailer she started looking for her boy again.


Speedy and Tari were next up....  Well Speedy anyway. 


Speedy decided that leaving the stall wasn't really working for him.  Not that I blame him, many horses have said uh, the ground isn't quite right here...  You see, I still need one gate panel to make it possible for horses leaving that stall to exit without going into the barn.  So the leaving of the stall and hitting the cement has stopped several horses in there tracks.  I am not a fan of the barn isle being cement, but at the same time haven't gotten enough stall mats to line that walk way with.  We just make do...  And after a little coaxing Speedy made do too! (0:


This colt is pretty level headed and really not a Drama Queen...once he found the ground safe for walking he headed right out.  Hats off to The BRC and her family, they did a great job of getting Speedy halter broke and broke to lead.  He doesn't lead like a halter baby ('cause he isn't!), but he leads well and gives well to pressure.


Speedy lead the way right to the door way of the trailer, then he couldn't figure out how to get in...again.  He would march boldly up to the door and stop, front legs touching the trailer.  He would then drop his nose and look like Mindy had lost her mind as she asked him to step up.


We kept asking, he kept trying.  We changed our approach a few different times, just to see if it made it easier.  He kept trying but just couldn't quite get his leg up.  Through it all, he never quit trying, he never tried to turn away and refuse, and he never fought.  Not once, he just kept trying.


And if I didn't already think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, I would have after this!


We finally ended up putting Tari in and waiting for Speedy to get all of his appendages in line and in the trailer.  It really didn't take all that long, because Breeze would have told us if we were wasting her time...  She has no patience for time wasting!  (0:


Once Speedy was in Tari stepped out.  Then Mindy removed his halter and she stepped out.  The door was closed on Speedy and his momma went to grazing by the trailer.  He called and she barely lifted her head...  Then Mindy loaded up Wyatt and headed out of the driveway.


Speedy kept calling, Breeze was looking at him like he had spun a screw...she was the one missing someone, not him!  And Tari kept eating.  We moved around so she could get the good grass and her colt drove out of the drive way calling the whole way...without a single answer from his momma.


This isn't the first time I have been part of a weaning, and I do really prefer the cold turkey approach...I think it's easier...  I know others will disagree, but for me, it may be the only way to go!  So that being said, I have never had a mare act so blah about her baby leaving...


Tari was so calm, cool, and collected about the whole ordeal I turned her out with the other horses.  I had originally planned to keep her in the stall for a few hours and then move her out to the pasture.  But thought what the heck, no time like the present....so out she went!


Tari knew everyone in the pasture, except Remi...but I figured that since Remi isn't aggressive so things should go fine.


And fine it was.  There was some trotting and loping.  A few squeals and then eating.  The donkey's decided to keep their distance just in case, but that didn't last long and soon everyone was mingling.


And still there was no calling from Tari.  I began thinking that maybe Speedy was a terrible baby or that Tari was heartless...


I called Mindy who was on the road and had been for over an hour.  I told her about Tari's lack of worry.  She thought it was odd too, but assured me that Speedy was doing enough crying for both of them!  Poor little Speedy!


I sent a text to The BRC and let her know Mindy was on the road and all had went well.  I asked her how Mo was doing, and she said less tears that morning and that he was settling well.  Good news for Mo!  (0:


We were out working on the pasture and I kept waiting on Tari to speak.  I waited and waited.  And just when I decided that she may just very well be truly glad to have Speedy gone, she broke her silence.


She called once.  Then silence.  The other horses crowded around her ears pricked.  No answer.  She called again.  No answer.  And she was done.


I walked over to the pasture and she came up.  I checked her udder...and it was full.  Must have reminded her that she was missing someone!  (0;


I heard her call a few more times that day.  But no drama.  Just a shout out for her kid ever so often.


Mindy called to let me know they had made it home.  Speedy was still certain that his life was over, but other than that, he was in fine shape.  Breeze of course was happy to be home and Chix and Sally were very excited to see that the horse trailer had actually brought someone with it.


That first afternoon was all the calling Tari did.  I was and am glad that she took it so well.  She really is a gem. 

Breeze went back to work on Monday.  Mindy is happy to have her horse back, I am not entirely sure that Breeze is happy to be back to work....but such is the life! (0:


Tari on the other hand will probably get to keep being a slouch.  This stinking Day Light Savings Time thing makes it dark when I get home... Oh, and it's getting cold...  Gross!!  (0:


So all I have is weekend riding.  But such is life in North Idaho! 


Next year though, she will get a rude awakening.  Tari The Great Bay Whale will be enrolled in The BRC's barrel school for mommies and mares that need jobs.  She will be off of easy street and into the working world.


Stay tuned!  LOL!!

3 comments:

Shirley said...

I find that my mare with each successive baby gets less and less upset at weaning time. I've used different methods of weaning, and what I like best is keeping the colt with a herdmate, one that he's buds with. Then it doesn't matter as much if he can't get to his mama. It's funny watching him try to nurse though!
If you are in North Idaho, we're neighbors (almost) - I live 6 miles north of the border.

Nikker said...

Shirley- This is Tari's first baby...she was a super first time mom! I can't imagine her getting any more OK with her kids leaving! (0:
You're a bit farther North...we're in the Spirit Lake/Twin Lakes area. I have a friend I ride with up in Moyie Springs. Love it up there!

yanmaneee said...

off white nike
longchamp bags
yeezy boost
goyard handbags
louboutin outlet
goyard
nike air max 2019
vans shoes
ferragamo belt
louboutin shoes