Saturday, November 6, 2010

Is There A Good Way To End A Care Lease? Part Two


This is Momma a.k.a. Midori and her 2006 colt, by Frenchman's Money.  A grandson of Frenchman's Guy and by Our Hush Money. ( He is now gelded)  I still haven't found the disk with my pictures of Midori that are decent...I'll keep looking!!  He is registered with the American Quarter Pony Association as Drinkin' Money.  We were calling him Bender when he was sold.

As I left Mary's place I called Mindy to see what she thought of the whole idea...of course she was ALL for it.  I just had to wait and see what Mary and her partner wanted for the mare.  If they would even let me have their rescue mare.  She was cute and hey she needed a home.  Sort of, well close enough...she needed a home with me!  ( :

I lived in Lemon Valley with a roommate that ran a small boarding stable.  It was one acre and she was set up for 8 horses, which was the limit for the area I believe.  At any rate we had room at the place and she was spending a lot of time with her new boyfriend who's family had a pretty big spread about 2 hours from where we lived.  They raised cattle, hay, and horses.  Marilyn had no problem with me getting another horse.  I bought my own feed and then worked off the spaces that my horses were taking up at the time.  It worked out good for both of us!

The next week I went to my lesson with Mary and she told me she and her partner had decided that I could have the mare for $500.  That was without papers of course, but only because the man that had her and the colt had "lost" the papers.  He had assure them that if he ever "found" them, he would send them.  Now it didn't take a rocket scientist to know that if her papers were worth a hoot, he had sold them to someone for a decent amount of money.  At that time registration papers were anywhere from $1500-$3500.  ( Yes, I knew some people who were a bit shady...but I learned a lot from them...)

They wanted me to first ride her in the round pen.  Just to make sure that I knew what I was getting.  So Mary and I took Momma out of her stall and tied her to the horse trailer.  She stood tied fine for the spit shine we gave her and saddling.  She was easy to mount and walked out like a horse on a mission.  She was all of 14hh, but walked like she was 16hh.  She was definitely green or rusty, but willing and easy to communicate with.  It was as if she had both of her eyes.  You could turn her any direction at any gate and she responded the same.  Her left eye was a bit exaggerated in its expression and movement, but it was always soft and kind.  I loved her more and more.  We went over a few more quirks that she had and shook hands on the deal.  I had to work the next 4 days, but would come on my first day off with cash in hand and my horse trailer.

As soon as I got Momma home, I knew it was time to change her name.  Momma was what she was, but it was too plain.  Or something.  At the time, my drink of choice was a Midori Sour.  She was not even close to being sour, but Midori was cute.  And the more I said it, the more I liked it. 

I called Mindy told he I had bought the horse and we were now partners.  In what we really didn't know, but we had gotten our first rescue horse...a horse that needed us.  Or something close to that!  ( :

Midori settled in really quickly and everyone loved her.  Marilyn and her boyfriend Daniel really like her.  Daniel offered me $1500 for her the first time he saw her.  He thought she'd make a great kids horse.  I told him she had a few issues that may or may not make her a good kids horse.  Daniel was a bit of a horse trader, so I am guessing he probably had someone in mind for her...  But She wasn't for sale.  I was glad that he liked her though, he ran a really nice string of roping horses.  Both registered and unregistered.

About 6 months after I bought her Marilyn and Daniel decided to get married and sell Marilyn's house and move to Daniels family's place.  They wouldn't be moving until May and I was welcome to move out to the family farm or go my own way. 

I called Mindy and the move was on.  Before we could go, I needed to get health inspections and brand inspections for Midori, Quoata, and Quoata's colt.  So I called my vet.  Dr. Green came out and updated Midori on everything and the others on just what they needed.  He did a major float on Midori.  I gave him the rundown on what I knew about her and asked for his thoughts on her eye and how this injury could have happened.  Once he was done with her float he said, this mares jaw is offset by about 1/32 of an inch.  He said it was definitely a blunt force trauma injury, although he doubted that another horse would have kicked her and done that.  He said that he would guess it was something much bigger that hit her or something repetitive...  If he had to put money on it, he'd say it was abuse.  He also said that as far as the eye goes, she is used blinking it and having it move.  He said that sowing it shut would do no real good as far as he could tell, and if it were his horse.  He would leave it be.  All the tissue had healed and was healthy.  So we left it.

We got the brand inspector out and we were legal to travel.  We decided to move Midori first and me and the rest of my stuff a few months later.  I loaded up one ton of Alfalfa in my pickup along with Midori and met Mindy and a friend in Medford Ore.  It was half way for both of us.  We unloaded my truck, loaded Mindy's and we both went home.

On a side note, I miss my vet Scott.  He was great.  I would have moved him with me if I could have.  He loved the horses and would help them and you.  He used plain English and would actually talk to you on the phone and give you advice/instruction.  My vet now is good.  But I honestly think that Dr. Green is better.

No comments: