Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Leaving Town...

Kage in the rear and Abbi bringing in her favorite toy!
Kage feeling pretty good about getting the ball before Abbi!
M-Kitty on her favorite afternoon perch...she can see everything from there!
I don't know if I am the only one who finds it almost an act of congress to get out of town for a few days...but today, I realized just how much work it is to leave. I "manage" an 80 acre ranch for a retired Doctor. He has horses and mules and I have horses and donkeys. Its nearly October so although these 12 animals live on pasture, we have started augmenting their daily caloric intake with grass hay. I do all the animal labor or care and when I leave town I have to either get enough round bales to cover their needs, get a horse sitter, or get the landlord to take up my slack. In this instance we are going to Las Vegas to get married, so rather than pay for extra feed or hire help, I am leaving the heard to the landlords care. He is totally capable of doing so, but getting him on track is a bit of work. Bless him, he is retired and busy living a very active life, if he wasn't...he wouldn't need me! LOL!! So this evening we covered our bases as far as what and how I am feeding, he has the dates written down and I am leaving a note in the barn reiterating my directions...just in case. I will also have my cell phone on me for most of our trip...so the livestock will be fine. The other drama we are faced with is getting the dogs and cat a setter. We don't have a yard...we live on a farm! So the dogs aren't exactly able to stay at home alone for too long. Also the dogs have the luck of having parents who work for themselves and get to go to work everyday. They don't know what its like to have to wait to go outside to go potty...or entertain themselves...they make their needs known and there is always some there to answer! Well our last pet setter went to jail...long storey, so he is not available. Too bad to, he did a good job and the dogs loved him. We talked to a couple of friends, but no one is able to keep the beasts. One of our dogs came from the pound and has a terrible time anywhere that they use some kind of cleaners or something that seems to trigger him and he just sulls up and shuts down. ( Every time we go to the vets office, they all have a good laugh at the big baby..) We thought about taking the dogs to the vets for boarding, but Kage would probably die of heartbreak before we got home. Virtually out of options we finally asked one of the ladies that works for us if she would like to get away from her "normal" life and set the dogs. Thank God she said she'd love to! I am so thankful! She has a 4 door car and doesn't mind taking the dogs to work with her and then back home ( I will get her a car wash gift cert. just in cause!) ...that keeps them closer to their "normal" schedule and happier- I think!! So on Saturday she will come out and learn how to work the t.v. and what not. I will get a shopping list from her to make sure we have food she likes to eat, along with a daily wage from the pups I want to make sure she enjoys herself as much as possible and I hope that they are good for her in case we need her again! LOL!!
I have no worries about the cat either way...M-Kitty is good to go with or without someone at home...man I love cats!! Hahaha!!
After looking at their pics...wouldn't you want to "baby" sit them!! Hahahaa!!
Just in case anyone is reading this...I have 9 days until I'm married!! Crazy...just nuts really!! Ugh! We will not only be getting married, but shopping at the Barret-Jackson car show! Window shopping that is! No new toys for us unless its a CNC, then its more of a money earner than a toy I guess!

3 comments:

Chelsi said...

Wow! Getting married in Vegas! How cool!!! You must be SO excited! I know how hard it is to find someone to look after the critters, we had four dogs and three cats at one point so it's not like some people where you can just have someone "stop by" and give them some kibble every day or two! Glad things worked out for you.

Thanks for your comment yesterday. I really apprecaite everyone's kind words:)

Nikker said...

Amen to the animals needing more that just kibble! Hope Janice survives their spoiled ways! LOL!!

You said good-bye to you gelding almost 1 yr. to the day I let my mare go...a bit different in that I'd have her 23yrs and saw her deteriorate physically, but I had a few "friends" saying blanket her, keep her under lights, use more bute, try Legends...you can get another year out of her...all I thought about was please people what about her dignity? We planned months in advance for the day, and she now rests pain free at my parents house, shoes on and dignity intact. I feel for your situation...a lot!
Thanks for stopping by!! You made my day!!

Nikker said...

Oh, and I'm nervous as hell about getting married...anywhere!! Hehehee!! We've been "living in sin" for almost 6 years now...but I like my last name! ( :