Thursday, November 6, 2014

I'll Try And Get Ya Caught Up!

Wow!  It's been a long time since I've posted!!
I cannot believe that it's November!!
My how the time flew this year!!!
I'm not going to lie... FaceBook has sucked my internet time up in a big way.  It's so easy to toss up a thought or picture and damn near get instant gratification....
I don't want to be one of those people, but maybe I am!
Needing a "like" to make my day seem complete.

Remi and Horse Girl checking for goodies!

It's also been a slow "horse life" this summer.
I'm not complaining, I want my kid to love animals and ride, and this is as good as place as any to start.
I do however apologize for my most annoying voice!!!
Seems as though I do kind of carry on some days!

Fi and Kase talkin' 'round the water cooler.

I managed to average about 1 ride a week for the summer.  All on Fiona.  Remi didn't get a leg thrown over her once.
Not great at all.
But better than not riding.
Chad was "watching" Kase on Sunday mornings so that I could ride, but the business is just being a taxing, nasty, nagging old troll.  So she ended up edging me out of my Sunday riding....
Chad had to stop taking Sunday's off and work 7 days a week again.  So my Sunday riding got dropped and Kase's naps aren't always the duration of time I need.  So it was hit and miss.
Jake came out this a month ago Thursday and pulled everyone's shoes.
I'm done trying to ride and feeling rushed or unfulfilled or let down when my plans don't come to fruition.
Next year it will be better or different!  (0:
My friends over at Twin Willows Farm have just finished their indoor arena and have a lot of stuff in the works.  It's an hour away, but I'm going to try and make it to some things!
I'd LOVE to do the cattle sorting.  (0:

More water cooler talk!

I rarely really think too much about what I've written, after I've written it.  I kind of forget that it's still just out there waiting for someone else to see it.  So you can imagine my surprise when I got a response/reply/comment on a post that I did way back when I/we lived at the Land Lord's place.  It was a trainer who had come across the Land Lord and Jameson and was trying to research Jameson's dam when they found my blog.  I kind of made a new friend and got a compliment on the work Jameson.  She said that she could tell that I had invested a lot of time with Jameson way  back when.  I'm NOT a trainer, just an enthusiast and rider.  So to have someone who really is a trainer say they could tell that someone had done something with her just made me so happy!  Huray Me!  LOL!!

Trying to steal the hay outta Horse Girl's Mouth.

My Hee-Haws are fat and happy!
They make me smile almost daily.
Kase loves them, but only Parton loves him back.  Jack-Jack is kinda scared of him.  But he's never been found of little people.  He didn't love Wyatt either...
I try and let him interact with them daily and as "freely" as possible.
Kase is obviously too young to know the "business end of an animal, but I try and let him move around them as much as possible on his own two legs.
He thinks he's pretty big stuff some days out there with his long ears.
Nothing new on their front.

More water cooler talk!

Fiona is such a joy.  I am truly lucky that I found and fell in love with her as a weanling, and then bought her.  I really didn't need another horse at the time, but I couldn't resist her!!
  I couldn't be happier that she is mine...  Well except for the fact that Kase LOVES her and she is so interested in him and the thought that she will be his one day is even better to me.  (0:
Fiona is rock solid in what Mike taught her and really is eager to please, even though she is a tad bit opinionated.  (0:  And man is she a power house... The wind moving through her ears is almost as sweet as it was on my old mare.  (0:
I can't wait for Kase to experience this...  I sure hope he loves riding...  Even though I understand that he may love something else!  (0:

Oh, and here's more water cooler chatting!

Sigh.
This brings me to the "real life" horse stuff.
I know that I've been pretty lucky over all with the health of my horses.  With their longevity.
I watched my old mare go down hill her last year.  But was able to give her an honorable passing.
And one I don't regret.  She saw me through so much...  I have probably mentioned it before, but I got her for my 11th birthday, (1985) and had her until I was 33.  22 years (2007).  I'm glad I was able to do what I did, when I did.  I am glad my family was there for me...

But this, this is different.
Or at least it feel different.

She thinks he smells wonderful!

I'll start with Horse Girl.
Her lameness isn't getting better.  I am pretty sure that its getting a lot worse.
When Fi and Remi and the Hee-Haws run through the pasture, she walks or trot/limps behind.  I cannot remember the last time I saw her lope or open up and move.
She is Chad's horse.
  Not mine.
 I tried to talk to him about this and he just keeps saying we will see what this winter brings.  Emotionally, I'm not sure I can find the old girl down in the pasture unable to get up and not kinda break apart.  The thought exhausts me.  I may be over reacting and being melodramatic.
Only time will tell...  )0:
Her overall health is good.  She is in good weight.  Enjoys snacks, scratches, tiny person hair pulling, tiny person screeching, and even tiny person "pets".  Because lets face it, kids Kase's age slap more than they pet.  But she loves it all.
I don't think she is miserable, but generally limping goes hand in hand with pain.
I kind of thought about doing a lameness evaluation on her and see if injections or a better diagnosis on the angle her feet need to be would help.  But at the same time, she is 18 nearing 19, and doesn't have a job...
Sigh.  I don't know....

She did this....

And Remi, my sweet misunderstood, kind souled, little mare.
She has had a cough off and on since I got her.  But usually about the same time Chad's allergies are acting up, so I just figured that she had some too.
This summer we had some rather large fires in the area and I noticed that she was really coughing.  Then I noticed that I could see her nostrils flaring.  I went out and started looking her over, and realize I could hear her wheezing.  I almost immediately started to panic.  I was pretty sure I knew what was going on, but I decided to make it official.
Dr. Peters confirmed my fears.
Remi has heaves.  AKA asthma.
It's coming on fast and hard.  He said she has mild to moderate, but leaning more towards moderate.
I've got IM steroids to give her....
And the WORST possible environment I could possibly provide for her with this condition.
"Dirt" floor pasture, hay 24/7, and I feed on the ground.
I'm beside myself with worry right now.
I don't know what I'm going to do next...
But for the first time EVER, I can't wait for the snow to fly.
Her symptoms should subside, and for the next 5 months or so I will have time to decide what I'm going to do.

....and then so did he!

Sigh....
Again...

I also lost my old dog in August.
Kage started having some neurological issues and had started being painful when picked up and while getting on and off of the couch...
He also started lashing out at Abbi and Seven.
I upped his pain meds, but it didn't really help.
I lowered his exercise, but it didn't help.
Chad stayed with Kase and I took Kage in.
I got Kage 1 week before Chad and I went on our first date.
He was 12.





What's odd about loosing Kage in the dynamics of our "pack" is that Abbi seemed to barely notice, but Seven has really had some difficulties adjusting.
Abbi used to sleep by him, Seven used to get her butt kicked by him...
I don't know.
We're pretty much over it now, and the girls have stabilized and it's our "new" normal.  (0:
I miss him, but I don't miss having three dogs and a toddler.

Rest In Peace to the worst dog I ever loved.






I did get to hang out with Mindy and Wyatt at the BRC's place the end of September and first of October.
That's always fun.
Mindy made a few good runs, Wyatt taught Kase how to play in the dirt AND convinced him to wear shoes!  Thank The Good Lord!!
Made me pretty excited for next year!

Mindy and Bug at Twin Willows.  Second barrel.

Mindy and Bug, third barrel.


And that's about it for now.

I turn 40 in 17 days.... I think that I am going to start prepping for mid-life crisis...

Bwwwahhhahahaaa!!







2 comments:

Shirley said...

Had to laugh in the video when Kase stuck his finger up Jack's nostril.....
I sympathize with yo on the health issues of your horses. Beamer has arthritis in his left knee- I finally get his feet where they should be and his knee is getting bad.... Sigh.... Sometimes ya just can't win. Light riding only for him now.
Sorry about your old dog, my Reba is 13 now and has a tumour on one of her nipples, I have managed to reduce it in size with essential oils but it isn't going to go away completely. So far she is happy and vigorous, hopefully I get another year with her.

Kellie said...

That was a great video! Your boy sure is growing up.

Horse health issues are always so difficult. Six one way or half a dozen the other. Hard to know what to do most of the time.

Sorry to hear about your dog. That is always so tough.

As for turning 40. it's a state of mind, no biggie :)