Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Answering A Couple Of Questions...

Kelly at Smell My Dairy Air, I am technically due Thursday.  But I've not experienced ANYTHING that's made me think that he (still haven't decided on a name... 5 options, but we're waiting to see him to name him) has even considered hitting the ground...  I have a Dr.'s appointment on our due date, so we'll see just where we are on the whole scheme of things soon.  I am really starting to feel empathy for all of our mares that we constantly check, poke, prod, and then check again!

Shirley at Ride A Good Horse asked about the homemade fly spray...  I am so glad, because I really had meant to do a follow up on it, so here goes!  (0:

I was going to try #3, because I feel like using oils as a base/main ingredient is a good thing.  I think it stays on the skin longer and better than water based (mainly based) fly sprays.  As I was going about getting all the stuff together I found my "old" fly spray recipe.  So I just mixed it up again.

2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Water or 1 Cup Aloe Vera Lotion
(I used 1/2 water and 1/2 lotion)
1/2 oz. Neem Oil
1/2  oz. Eucalyptus, tea tree, thyme, garlic, cedarwood or juniper oil 
(I choose Eucalyptus because I liked the smell of it!)

I am not good at measuring as far as ounces, but that's why I've got Chad!  (0: 
Getting the Neem Oil and the Eucalyptus oil were more expensive than any of the other recipe's I've posted.  But it goes quite a ways and I feel like I get pretty good adhesion (?) and longevity from this recipe.
I usually put my fly spray on in the mornings, and then toss in some Skin So Soft in the evening.
I try to give them a three day dosing and then a day off.  
I have no real reason for this...  Other than the fact that they do kinda get greasy from the Skin So Soft and the oils I use.

And I know someone somewhere is wondering how Fiona is doing!  (0:
Here are my last two updates from Mike...

This is last weeks:
I like using her. She is no trouble, my horses like her. She sure looks good! Been working her regular since she got over her cheek thing. That was two weeks off, but she went right to work. I still want to fine tune her a little more, she is really reliable and steady, but a touch TOO mellow. Soft and light and smooth though, which I am happy with.

And this is tonight's update, after starting the fall gather and sorting of the cows for shipment.
Your little hoss did pretty good today. Cut in the sorting alley. With a little protesting. Speed thinking isn't on her list of important attributes, but she got the job done and bless her little heart she crowded cattle and cut respectably. Even got within biting distance and figured out where we wanted them to go. We have a lot more to do, so I am hoping she gets over being flustered at fast movements. In her defense, she hasn't moved a cow for several months, so it stands to reason it would take a little to get back at it. All in all though, she worked cows the best she ever has, and showed some impressive moves. Hard stops, fast pivots, backing off and charging cows when asked, working gates, and a little "baby steps" cutting.

I love Fiona's laid back attitude, but I did scratch my head when Mike said she may be a little too mellow.  Anyone with any thoughts on this please toss them out to me.  I know she's not dumb, and he has never called her lazy ever... So too mellow means what to you all?  Maybe she will be the perfect 16hh kid's horse. It's a real head scratchter for me, but then again, I still haven't ridden the  nearly finished Fiona.  I will go on record as saying however that it's definitely that batshit crazy though!  LOL!! 

As far as tonight's update, goodness...
I'm over the moon about it!!




3 comments:

Shirley said...

Thanks for the recipe.
Mellow to me, in this case, means that this trainer would like a horse that is a little quicker to react, he might have to work at it to bring the life up in her. Which makes me think that in a few years, once your soon-to-be little boy is ready to ride, you'll have the perfect horse for him!
Hope you have an easy delivery!

Kellie said...

"Speed thinking isn't on her list of important attributes" I got a kick out of that lol

Mellow to me is a good thing - not crazy reactive, which to me is a good thing.

So glad to hear your doing well. Good luck on the delivery which I bet will be soon and choosing the all important name :)

Nikker said...

Mike is funny isn't he! I always enjoy his verbiage when he's writing.
(0:
I'm glad that's what you read into it too Shirley! Fiona was supposed to be a fire breathing beast...and instead, I've accidentally grown myself a kids horse! (0: