Saturday, June 23, 2012

You Could Buy One Cheaper...Dropping Off The Mare

After getting our plan together, we contacted the stallion owner and mailed our contract with deposit.
I had already taken the mare to the vet and gotten all of that out of the way, so now it was just a matter of getting her to the destination.
From my house to the stallion is 533 miles.  Map quest called it 10 hours and 23 minutes, we figured closer to 12 with horse trailer and baby.  In all actuality, it did take us just over 10 hours each way... Probably because we didn't really drive the "suggested" speed limit of 55 in Oregon...it was bad enough that we had to let someone else put fuel in out tank...  (0:
Fuel from my house to stallion and from stallion to Deer Park (because that's where Mindy and her truck and child stopped...Chad picked up me and my horse trailer there on Saturday...confusing I know...) : $418.37
Food and a few adult beverages (we split these costs) : $53.72
Lodging (I sort of under estimated this...also had dog deposit as we had Hank with us) : $102.92
So our total for getting the Ol' Spotted Pony there was: $575.01

We dropped her off on June 8th. 
I have a pasture full of mares...all fairly silent in their cycle.  So all I could/can do is watch the Hee-Haws for clues on who is in season...They are very manly you know!!  With this VERY scientific method I figured that she should come into season somewhere around the 12th-14th.
On the 15th she was showing no signs of being interested in the stallion.  Matter of fact the stallion owner actually said, "She is scared to bits of Dude...".  
They had to haul some mares to the vets for ultra sounds for 15 day confirmation of foal, so it was decided to haul Horse Girl in for a quick checkerooo, and if she wasn't near cycle, we would short cycle her.  Oooh, whats that?  Yeup added costs!!  
My share of fuel : $0, they had an open slot and refused to let me pay as they were going anyway
Ultra Sound :$45

Guess who was on the verge of being ready to be bred?  Yeah, Horse Girl.  Better safe than sorry though.  She was covered for the first time on the 17th, and then covered everyday after that until she refused and went back to being scared again.  Last cover was on the 20th.  And now the wait for our 15 day ultra sound...

So our grand total thus far...all things included...
Direct Costs: $541.00
Indirect Costs: $ $418.37
Total out of pocket thus far: $959.37

3 comments:

Shirley said...

Good thing you got the ultrasound done!

sally said...

Well it all seems like alot but in the grand scheme of things I was looking what it would cost here in NZ .....and thats not too bad. Hope it all goes smoothly!

Nikker said...

Sally- So far it's not really been to expensive. I have spent less before, but it was a friend deal all I was out was the stud fee. I drove/rode my mare over and teased her, then we bred her and I took her home. No ultra sounds, no mare care, no hauling expenses, and no vet care. It all worked out fine, but I don't have a friend with a stallion who is close to me now! (0: This mare has foaled before, so I expect no problems...but you never know.