Friday, February 3, 2012

Warning...Not A Horse Post...Or A Happy Post...

I am going to post about the passing of my Grandfather.





My heart hurts.
It doesn't hurt for me, it hurts for my dad.  He lost his father this week.
My Grandfather was his hero.  As a father should be to a son.  
It's funny the things you will always remember...  Places, smells, sounds...
The things your mind grabs at a moment in time and steels away in your memory.
I will never forget when we got the call to say Grandpa Bill had died (the first person I knew, who died...), every time I see mashed potatoes and green beans together on a plate I think of him passing.  Family Feud was on when we got the call Grandpa Dick had died.  I was on Barrel Horse World when I found out about Grandpa Billy and Uncle Scoooty...
And when mom called me to say Grandpa John P. had passed away 99.9 F.M. was playing the national anthem.
I find it fitting.
He was a WWII veteran, who rarely talked about his time in the service.  But would share a story here and there if he felt it relevant.
  The State of Idaho honored him not too long ago....it was a proud day for all of us.
He was also kind, loved kids.  The younger the better.
He had the nicest eyes, they always had a sparkle to them...almost like a boys eyes.  His smile was quick and genuine.
And his laugh, more of a chuckle really...warm and inviting.
The King was the only beer for him.
He always had Cope.
He bled Ford blue.
He loved fishing, Dad says he was the best Bass fisherman he'd ever seen.
He really was a hero and an exceptional man.
And I am proud to have called him Grandpa.

***Edited to add his obituary link.***

6 comments:

Mindy7102 said...

When your here wanna go to Port Townsend garage n have a sniff? I will always remember that boy like sparkle and the chuckle. And how he'd intertwine his fingers and roll his thumbs around each other. And don't forget he loved soaps!!!:)

Shirley said...

I read the link- you are right, he was a hero, not just to his family either. My condolences to you and your family.

Nikker said...

Mindy- Yes, lunch hour was during the Young and The Restless...I knew I should have had you proof read before I posted.
Your little mad does the same hand rolling...without the thumbs...when deep in thought.
Grandpa John also had the largest hands on a 5 foot 7 inch man I have ever seen...

Thank you Shirley. (0:
The things he accomplished in his life kind of make everything the rest of us do pale in comparison...

mrscravitz said...

I am so sorry!

Karen V said...

Nik-Min - I am so sorry! My grand-parent were a huge part of my life also. I know what you mean with the smells... Every so often... every so often.

Hugs!

Nikker said...

Thank you Mrs. Cravitz and Karen.