Sunday, June 30, 2013

Going From Below Normal To Above Normal Temps...

Good Gravy mother nature is really off her menopausal rocker right now...
As I was sitting in my air conditioned house at 7:00 a.m. this morning cruising FaceBook for the latest and greatest gossip...I mean knowledge to glean from it, my friend and trainer Mike posted.  Just an interesting little story to go along with the importance of watching your "stock" for signs of distress or change of behavior when the weather changes!
Thanks again Mike for your flare for writing and your knowledge!!  (0:



Getting warm out there. 96 yesterday, by the end of the day I could not talk myself into firing up my forge and shoeing that horse I need to get shod. Maybe, today.

But, this heat sure makes you think about salt/mineral blocks. One of my Belgians is very sensitive  To the point of being delicate. I've been noticing some strange behavior. Came close to consulting with a vegetarian. No distress, no temp, just droopy and a little gaunted. Some strange urination habits had me most concerned, had a leaky peeper. Had me worried though.

Was scratching my head on the topic one night, and it hit me like a ton of bricks, Selenium. GD if it ain't Selenium. I've had a plain white salt lick out, and the Northwest is Selenium deficient! GD! I was kind of pissed at myself. I had been feeding a separate mineral supplement in oats, but changed concentrates a couple months ago, and didn't put a mineral block out.

Well, I put out a selenium block and in two days Tiny was back to his old self. Whew....

I remember some years ago when I lived down the valley a few miles from some Amish folk. They were really nice people(and, Mrs. Bournetreager could bake a pie you wouldn't believe! I know, I was at their bake sale every Saturday like clock work), but they didn't take such good care of their stock. Which surprised me.

About once or twice a summer their horse herd, about 65 head, would get out and run down the valley. I was camped at a pasture with my 11 and my dog. I woke up one night to Thunder! But, no lightning? I peeked out my bed roll cover sheet and spied horses fighting over my extra salt licks I had piled up near the pump house. By the time I got up, dressed, and fired up my pickup, they had devoured two whole blocks. Only some smaller chunks lay on the ground. They were starved for salt!

I hopped in the pickup and got in behind the herd, drove them over the bridge, onto the highway, down to the Bournetreagers (about 6 miles), and into Mr. B's yard at 2 in the morning. Boy, did I love waking everybody up with 65 head of horses in the yard!

But, I always remember the way those horses attacked the salt and were desperate for it. It's so important, and not just Na-Cl, but trace minerals too!

Thankfully, I got to the bottom of my draft horse's lethargy and leaky peeper.




2 comments:

Kellie said...

Definitely a good thing to remember!

Hope you are well :)

Nikker said...

We are good here! Hot... (0:
I had an elaborate response all done up on my take of pregnancy, but decided against posting it... Just my sideways opinion. In all reality other than NOT being able to ride, and trying to figure out what we're going to do about me working, I really have nothing to complain about. We're starting our 31rst week so we've got some time to get ready...and find a name for him. Poor little guy's still nameless!