Saturday, May 4, 2013

Hay Net Confessions...

Although I DO love my hay nets, they aren't foolproof/perfect...  )0:
This first picture is what happens when the hay gets wet and the girls get to stand on it and the Hee-Haws get to drag it through the mud...
This is a round bale, with about 11 or 12 days under it's belt.  I didn't have it in the round bale feeder because it was wet and nasty in the pasture.  The thought of picking the thing up and rolling it through the pasture with muddy/poopy/gooey mess dropping on my head as I move lacked some appeal...
So even though I've decided that I loose less hay while using them in tandem, I had abandoned the feeder.
When I emptied the net, I had about a wheel barrels worth of wet dirty hay to dispose of.
Now that the ground has dried, I have moved the feeder to a new spot and am using it again.


This second picture is of the three bale feeder.  As you can see, I am getting some waste.  I also, (safe or not), tied the dang thing to a tree to keep the Hee-Haws from dragging it around.  As soon as it's not to heavy to move, the net and it's contents go on a tour of the pasture.  I have to admit, that watching those two criminals drag it, is pretty entertaining...and I'm disappointed that I have yet to have the camera at the ready when I discover them playing!
I am currently looking for my three bale feeder, as it had a few flakes left when I put out a new round and decided to let them have it over night, unattached and free for the games of my little criminals.


I am hoping to find it tomorrow...as it's been almost a week with no luck in finding it easily...  
Tomorrow I'm going to get serious about hunting it!!  
I've had a few spots where the netting is tearing/coming apart, so I've been "mending" it with orange and yellow baling twine.  You know, hillbilly/redneck duct tape!  (0: 
 I figured the coloring would aide in my finding it, but now, I can see what I get for thinking!  (0:



1 comment:

Kellie said...

I can't imagine the Hee-Haws dragging it around lol They must be very brave indeed! I'm sure all our animals would thing it was a lion/tiger come for lunch and freak out.

Good luck finding the three bale feeder :)