Monday, October 10, 2011

The Price Of Love....

...I can honestly say that when it comes to my girls, I thought there probably wasn't one.  In this last year of living "on our own" shall we say, I have tried different supplements, grains, and hay providers.  Working on what works best for me and the girls.  Of course I have noticed it in my checkbook, but I enjoy feeding them my way without explanation, complication, or drama. 
When Tari the Great Bay Whale was carring Speedy, Mindy asked me to feed a certain grain and vitamin supplement.  Mindy has done a ton of research on this kind of stuff and decided that this would be best for mare and foal.  So I jumped on board and started feeding everyone that way!


So on Thursday I rolled into the feed store to pick up my usual, the price had increased.  Increased AGAIN!  I have been buying grain about every 4 weeks.  And for the last 3 trips, it's increased every single time I have been in.  $.50 here, $1.00 there, but this time was different.  When I first started buying this grain, it was around $16.50 a bag....when I went in Thursday it was $19.49.  So I said wow, up again huh?  Lady says really?  Yeah I say...it was $18.49 last time I was in.  So she says, let me double check, I could have made a mistake... 
So she looked...and she had made a mistake, this grain should have been rung up at $22.49, not $19.49.  I have been buying the alfalfa mix...the grass mix was the $19.49 bag.  So we unloaded the alfalfa and reloaded the car with the grass...  I do love my girls, but not at $22.49 per bag.  I have seen several threads about feed going up, and I get that.  But really?  In 4 weeks almost $4.00?  Uh, love 'em but apparently I do have a price limit on my love for them...


So this weekend, I read up on comparable grains at a more reasonable price.  I don't want them to go without grain, especially in the winter, but I am not going to feed them gold...  I still need a place to live! 
I am pretty sure that I have found a suitable replacement that is low in sugar, no molasses binders, high in fat, and protein.  (0: 
Oh, the stress of the freedom of buying feed for my horses!!

1 comment:

Shirley said...

I really like that first eye photo- it's the best!